1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Chapter in The American Psychiatric Association Publishing Textbook of Psychosomatic Medicine and Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, Third Edition

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by MeSci, Aug 12, 2018.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uuhhhh.. citation? Of course there is no citation for this. There have been multiple studies on the mental health of ME patients and they all found no significant differences with the general population outside of what should be expected of any illness and how it impacts quality of life and basic sustenance. This is beyond lazy and straight up manufacturing supporting evidence out of hot ass air.

Why is it OK for them to just make shit up like this? This is pure speculation and projection on their part, falsified by actual research. They know this. They don't care because prejudice and confirmation bias leads people who aren't familiar with this disease to not actually check whether their claims have any truth.

ladycatlover, Judee, Pechius and 15 others like this.
  2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Remarkable, even when their theory doesn't hold up to examination, they still say they're probably correct and the data is wrong.

3. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They will tell you have depression or a somatoform disorder; they will offer you a treatment: antidepressants, psychotherapy and exercise. If you don't get better, i.e. if you "fail", this will be your fault, and your fault alone. This may lead to feelings of desperation, including maybe suicidal thoughts, but "medicine" can say "we did our best", and for 1 or 2 years you may be hopeful and not a pain in the ass of others, especially doctors.

ladycatlover, Judee, Pechius and 14 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, funny that.

Then add the decades of abuse of those patients by their self-claimed saviours, and the very serious economic consequences of it all, and they wonder why these patients don't like them or their 'treatments'.

Such a mystery.

Inara, ladycatlover, JaimeS and 9 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's clearly because they keep pronouncing leviosa wrong! Which is still better than pronouncing nektu wrong, wouldn't want to bring demons into this world with such a simple mistake.

Arnie Pye and JaimeS like this.
  6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It might be entertaining to follow all of my BPS commentary that relates to the HP universe. A compilation would be hysterical, especially if set to the theme music. ;)

8. Pechius

Pechius Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really? And where is that STRONG evidence?? I doubt you would see Sharpes and Weasels using that type of unjustified rhetoric in a scientific article, because they know that it's BS, but this is a book, so I guess you can do whatever you want if you follow the BPS logic.

And guess where most regular clinicians get their knowledge? Surely, they don't bother to read the actual research or check the references. They'll just read a book like this and then be very happy that all their preconceptions were just confirmed. Problem? Solution.

Inara, rvallee, Dolphin and 5 others like this.