1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CFS Research Center at Stanford Second Annual Community Symposium Sept. 29-2018

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Kalliope, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you enjoyed the Symposium (especially those who watched from home, or are awaiting for the replay on YouTube), consider making a donation to support the work of all these fine people. They are making progress and more are joining their effort, but the work is still slow due to the lack of funding. Every dollar will be put to good use.

petrichor, Diwi9, Joh and 12 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

An absolutely valid thought, nothing wrong with it, but my way of thinking is that we want as broad a range of researchers funded as possible, the OMF recently had the large cryptocurrency donation of several millions and also has support from many patients, so I look elsewhere when deciding who to donate too.

Just my way of thinking, and obviously the important thing to do is to donate, no matter who it's too.

Mij, MEMarge, Diluted-biscuit and 4 others like this.
  3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i respect what you say, and indeed it’s good to have independant researchers, but research collaboratives have great advantages too.

i am all for research, and will take whatever results that will make a dramatic improvement in patients’ lives. While we are pressing our governments for more funding, it won’t hurt to support our researchers, wherever you want your money to go to.

I was just saying we had a full day of presentations and there is a good way to say thank you.

inox, Binkie4, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Ron suggested that we may have fewer viruses because our immune systems are up regulated. Please correct me if I got that wrong.

I watched Dr Phair and Ron afterall, and learnt a bit about the nature of science which felt exciting.

Don’t ask me to repeat it. I didn’t understand Dr Phair’s graphs but the explanations made sense at the time. There was inhibition of IDO1 ( I think) which led to fatigue.

My best recollection is -I remember Ron saying scientists can’t “cherrypick” from their data and something about they now had stuff to observe and could formulate hypotheses. As I understood it, Dr Phair has a hypothesis ( the metabolic trap) which needs testing. If that hypothesis is wrong then there will be other hypotheses to test. They need money for this. And Ron said humorously that most of science is disappointing.

Can someone with more knowledge than me help out? It felt exciting. I wish I had seen Younger. Will look out for write ups.

adambeyoncelowe, inox, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  5. Binkie4

Am not a scientist but feel that Dr Davis and collaborators seem to have assembled what looks like a very impressive team.

Milo, MEMarge, andypants and 4 others like this.
  6. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I expect that the scientists among themselves in all their meetings and conversations probably discussed and maybe answered some of our question. Maybe it is obvious, but the amount they were able to convey in the time allotted to patient presentations is not everything that they hashed out among themselves at every other opportunity.

On the patient day, I noticed how the scientists nicely responded and conversed with patients when queried, but at other moments could be seen eagerly continuing their questions and discussions with each other.

7. kendonoghue

kendonoghue Established Member

Is there anyway to rewatch the video for those of us that missed it?

8. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there a general feeling that we are getting closer to answers?

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

They will all be put on You Tube sometime.

10. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi,

I missed the symposium--I guessed that there was nothing definitive on Cyclophosphamide from Fluge? I see from Cort Johnson's tweets that he infers that there are some positive results.....

Thanks

MEMarge and andypants like this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

More than 5000 people participated??? That photo doesn't do the numbers justice then.

Was there any breakdown on publications in progress from the OMF does anybody know?

13. Sasha

At one point I thought Linda Tannenbaum said there were over 3,000 people watching the livestreaming - I guess it went up...

I was listening for people mentioning publications but didn't catch anything.

14. Binkie4

This is an 8 hour livestream of Saturday’s symposium at Stanford. The plan is for the separate lectures to be divided and put on the OMF website ASAP but this is available in the meantime.

Somewhere earlier in this thread was the day’s schedule-order of speakers. Sorry, I don’t have the energy to find it currently ( can’t sleep - brain buzzing) but if you access it, you can make an educated guess on where to find the speaker you are interested in.

Dr Fluge was the keynote speaker at about 35-40 mins in. Earlier stuff is welcomes etc. Fluge was restricted in what he could say because papers have been submitted but still fascinating.

I was able to access straight in but I was signed in for Saturday. I think you may need to sign in otherwise. There will be no sign in when on the OMF site.

Phair towards the end of the day was particularly interesting. Do NOT try to undo the metabolic trap individually by experimentation. It is highly dangerous.

Now brain dead and will try sleep again!

ukxmrv, Lisa108, Helen and 15 others like this.
  15. Sasha

16. Binkie4

@Sasha. Thanks for finding Saturday’s agenda. It was beyond me last night.

17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

18. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not working for me either! I've deleted the post.

I dunno..perhaps the shrimps carrying the that bit of the internet across the Atlantic have been eaten by a flotilla of jelly fish or something. Or maybe I did it wrong.

19. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here are some comments after looking at the whole symposium given the results from the analytical techniques i've been using :

cc : @JaimeS

ALAIN MOREAU :

approx @ 2:46:21 He talks about TSP-1 (aka THBS1) being upregulated.

Here is slide 47 from my presentation, you can see where TSP-1 is located :

moreau.png

Unfortunately i do not have the knowledge to comment but perhaps TSP-1 is upregulated for a reason (he talks about inhibiting it so that ME/CFS Symptoms are ameliorated).

MICHAEL SAKORA

@5:22:53 He shows a heatmap of Genes with clonally expanded cells (i am not sure if i got this right). In the figure below i annotated two Genes, namely FASLG (FAS Ligand) and MYO6 :

sakora2.png

Twitter , August 2017 :

tweet.png

The system got FASLG and a near hit (?) for MYO6 -got instead MYO9B- but both MYO6 and MYO9B are relevant to actin binding and actin filaments.

See also the relevant post here (August 2017) :

http://algogenomics.blogspot.com/2017/08/new-findings-myosin-d3-actins.html

JARRED YOUNGER

@5:40:12 He talks about elevated Lactate. Machine Learning confirms the relevance of this finding to ME/CFS :

Slide 25, Machine Learning ranks lactate on the top 5 positions :

slide25.png

Binkie4, ScottTriGuy, Perrier and 4 others like this.
  20. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inara, ScottTriGuy, Wonko and 12 others like this.