1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CFS Research Center at Stanford Second Annual Community Symposium Sept. 29-2018

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Kalliope, Mar 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and I would enjoy meeting any other patients who will be there. What about a signal, since we won’t be seated in a particular area or have “patient” printed on name tags, as far as plans had developed a month back. Maybe an overhead arm wave is a bit too energetic or flamboyant for our ranks. Hope someone has a good idea!

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agenda for today's symposium.

Attached Files:

inox, MEMarge, Rain and 7 others like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks good - lots of hot topics. I wonder if they'll take questions via the livestream? Do you know, @JaimeS?

It would be good to get a bit of to-and-fro about the more controversial aspects.

Edit: And to ask about what publications are in the pipeline, as @Andy mentioned on another thread.

MEMarge, Inara, andypants and 4 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Starts in 20 minutes. I have the page for the symposium with the time countdown shown. Do I have to do anything else, like log in?

Binkie4, MEMarge and Sasha like this.
  5. Sasha

6. Kalliope

Linda Tannenbaum says 300 are attending and thousands are following through live stream.

ukxmrv, Indigophoton, inox and 7 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Ashley Haugen mentioned an email address for those who wants to submit a question. I can't find it on their website, but perhaps someone caught it and can share?

Joh likes this.
  8. edawg81

edawg81 Established Member

http://www.omf.ngo/questions/

Indigophoton, inox, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  9. Kalliope

edawg81, Indigophoton, inox and 7 others like this.
  10. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So excited (and slightly nauseated because I had three cups of coffee to get through the livestream :)).

Trying to write a German summary for the German Association from my bed-office.

Keynote speaker Oystein Fluge just finished. Now Wenzhong Xiao talks about some results of the Severely Ill Patient Study.

Hutan, Yessica, merylg and 12 others like this.
  11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have 86 slides from the first part (the ones that would upload are included), not sure how to upload more, keeps complaining file size is too large
    I won't be able to capture slides the rest of the day but i started and it kept going

Attached Files:

• 1.zip
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 2.zip
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 3.zip
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 4.zip
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    Woolie, Yessica, kendonoghue and 10 others like this.
  12. Joh

13. Joh

14. Sasha

This stuff is all waaaaaaay over my head... o_O

Are you watching, @Jonathan Edwards? Anything look interesting to you?

Yessica, MEMarge, Aroa and 4 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm enjoying it. I'm not sure I'll remember much of it, but I like that I'm seeing that there's real progress towards understanding at least some of what it going on.

One interesting point from Maureen Hanson - her metabolomics study findings match well with Naviaux and other studies.

Alain Moreau's micro RNA data looks interesting too, in that they are finding definite differences from healthy controls and finding subgroups.

And Jonas Bergquist has found interesting metabolites in cerebrospinal fluid that are indicative of inflammation, if I understood it correctly.

And Ron Davis explained that the virus testing they did with blood would show any viruses anywhere in the body [edit - and they found less than in healthy controls]. And they are moving on to check for RNA viruses, and other types of pathogens.

That's all I can remember!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Hutan, JaimeS, Yessica and 19 others like this.
  16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hanson seems optimistic about metabolomics results. She thinks the inability to find subgroups in patients with metabolomics approach suggests that the abnormalities are fundamental to the illness. At least that is what I understood. The presentations so far have not been easy to follow.

Edit: also Xiao said that the TRPM3 gene doesn't show up as significant in their analysis of severely ill patients.

My personal impression is that many researchers are struggling with the heterogeneity of patients, so Hanson's optimism is comforting.

17. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm finding it very interesting, a few ideas come to mind and some revisiting of previous thoughts.
    Its too much information though, i had to zone out during Maureen Hanson's talk, but will view it on youtube in the future

18. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched Drs Fluge and Hanson with a rest between them. Utterly loving Dr Fluge’s talk where he moved between talk of the patients and the data.

Didn’t understand a lot but someone?? talked of reducing carbs with benefits. I think it may have been Dr Fluge but he was not recommending it as a treatment because there was no data. I hope I’ve remembered that correctly.

I’d like to hear Phair but that’s not till nearly midnight our time, so it may need to wait. If anyone hears it, please can you post something, a sentence or two. I shall look first thing in the morning.

Eta: would also like to hear what Jared Younger has to say

19. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are back from lunch - on now

Binkie4, Joh and MEMarge like this.
  20. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)