1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CFS and/or FM as a variation of antiphospholipid antibody syndrome: an explanatory model and approach to laboratory diagnosis, 1999, Berg et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chronic fatigue syndrome and/or fibromyalgia as a variation of antiphospholipid antibody syndrome: an explanatory model and approach to laboratory diagnosis

Abstract

Chronic Fatigue and/or Fibromyalgia have long been diseases without definition. An explanatory model of coagulation activation has been demonstrated through use of the ISAC panel of five tests, including, Fibrinogen, Prothrombin Fragment 1+2, Thrombin/ AntiThrombin Complexes, Soluble Fibrin Monomer, and Platelet Activation by flow cytometry. These tests show low level coagulation activation from immunoglobulins (Igs) as demonstrated by Anti-B2GPI antibodies, which allows classification of these diseases as a type of antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. The ISAC panel allows testing for diagnosis as well as monitoring for anticoagulation protocols in these patients.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10695770/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Louie41, sebaaa, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This article is from 1999. I had the ISAC panel done and it was normal. I didn't have the genetic profile done b/c I didn't feel it applied to me.

David Berg is not a medical person. He or his wife was the owner of Hemex Lab that did the tests.

Michelle, Louie41, Starlight and 6 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Came across this back then as well. Didn't do the testing.

Many of my blood draws are difficult, and I've been told my blood is thick or sticky. This despite extra hydration before blood tests.

This puts me in mind of Leslie O. Simpson's research, which includes work on blood viscosity:

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Simpson

ETA: Maybe I missed this on MEPedia, the book by Dr. Simpson: Blood Viscosity Factors: The Missing Dimension in Medicine ISBN 10: 0615254578 Pub. Mumford Institute Inc.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Louie41, J.G, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@DokaGirl

My doctor attended a workshop in Arizona in 2002 where Hemex Lab was located and met David Berg. There were also a few other doctors that treated ME patients at that workshop. David Berg flat out told my doctor that I had HHV6 reactivation based on my test results. My tests were normal, except for Fragmin that was slightly elevated.

A few of us here got tested and the test results came back normal.