1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cellular immune function in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) (2019) Cliff, Nacul et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Cheshire, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2019.00796/abstract

Full, open access, text here, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2019.00796/full

ETA: Link to full text.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2019
    ME/CFS Skeptic, ahimsa, Sid and 28 others like this.
  2. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interesting study and i look forward learning more. Point of interest, the mention on MAIT Cells :

A paper i found named "Interactions between bile salts, gut microbiota, and hepatic innate immunity" mentions :

I wonder if this has anything to do with what was found. Let's not also forget about the -recent- paper by Professor Tate in New Zealand (cc @Hutan ) that suggests inflammation of the liver given the pathways found:

[​IMG]

3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the abstract:
    ”Many patients report their ME/CFS began after an acute infection, and subsequent increased frequency of infections, such as colds or influenza, is common”

I do not think this is quite accurate from my understanding of how ME evolves. Yes, patients get initial infection, but what follows is a period of time, often years when patients do not catch a cold or get sick with common viral infections at all. The immune system seems to be on high alert all the time.

Then after that period of over active immune system, in my case 10 years it is as if the immune system gets depleted and patients are prone to such infections such as colds and flus.

Dr Lipkin and team (including CFI) examined that concept by assessing patients in early stages of disease vs late stages.

4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's different by patient whether we seem more susceptible to incidental infections, less susceptible, or just seem to get things but not get all the associated symptoms. It does seem to change over time for some.

I caught everything in my early years of being ill, especially if I was not rigorous about hand hygiene. This changed not to not getting things, but to not having all the symptoms when I do. (for example, I rarely run a fever even when having an infection that would normally produce a fever--however doctors rarely listen to me when I tell them they can't use absence of fever as a decision aid)

ahimsa, Sid, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.
  5. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree with the immune system being on high alert and futher more I think the innate system does most of the job.

6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had lots of infections. I understood that there exists this and that.

ScottTriGuy and JaneL like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://cureme.lshtm.ac.uk/laboratory-results-published/

WillowJ, John Mac, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  10. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This could be why have a different finding with NKCC. Some of the other labs are not freezing their samples.

Freezing is a potential source of differences in findings.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3400260/

Hutan, Amw66, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Therefore I think non-classical monocytes maybe were not investigated in this study, certainly not individually.
    This study has been cited as evidence that the increase in non-classical monocytes that have been found in two studies of Long Covid patients has not been found in ME/CFS. I don't think this is correct, as the non-classical monocytes subset wasn't specifically looked at.
    Persistence of SARS CoV-2 S1 Protein in CD16+ Monocytes in Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) ..., 2021, Patterson et al (in prep)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    SNT Gatchaman likes this.