1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell-free DNA levels

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jul 31, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Post moved from
    Mitochondrial dysfunction and the pathophysiology of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) 2012 Booth et al

It was recently prompted by Joan's comment on cell-free DNA.

Coupled with more recent papers on neutrophils and NETs in LC that were on my radar.

Eg Plasma proteome of Long-COVID patients indicates HIF-mediated vasculo-proliferative disease with impact on brain and heart function (2023) —

[Maybe we should move these posts to the Neutrophil Extracellular Traps thread or a more general cell-free DNA thread?]

Same idea and could be straightforward. I note JE has commented on problems with neutrophils and NETs evaluation and theory.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2023
    Mij, Hutan and Sean like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A relevant thread:
    Mitochondrial dysfunction and the pathophysiology of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) 2012 Booth et al
    This refers to the Myhill-promoted Test that included cell-free DNA levels.

And another:
    Elevated cfDNA after exercise is derived primarily from mature neutrophils, with a minor contribution of cardiomyocytes, 2023, Fridlich et al
    This study in health people found massive increases in cell-free DNA following exercise, mostly derived from neutrophils. The cell-free DNA has a very short life, with levels returning to normal with an hour of exercise.

It uses a technique to identify the cells that the cell-free DNA came from, which could be very interesting to apply to ME/CFS samples.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
    alktipping, Mij and Joan Crawford like this.
  3. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Potentially an interesting area for study, along with other known responses to exercise and recovery.

It's been a while back that I read up about free actin and myosin levels in the blood plasma. From memory, there was one small study completed in Spain about this in pwME. I contacted the author at the time it was published and they didn't reply. I discussed this with Willy Weir too. I don't recall seeing anymore about this since.

It would be illuminating to test pwME pre and post exercise challenge on these well-known and straightforward to test methods. I suspect these would show up that all is not as it should be.

alktipping, Mij, Trish and 3 others like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

So it would be important to follow this at eg 1, 4, 24, 48 hours. The short half life in the normal situation will be (partly?) predicated on the amount of DNases, which is increased with regular training - clearly not something we can do once the disease is established, with limiting PEM.

5. SNT Gatchaman

Epigenetic liquid biopsies reveal elevated vascular endothelial cell turnover and erythropoiesis in asymptomatic COVID-19 patients (2023, Preprint: BioRxiv)

Joan Crawford, EndME, obeat and 2 others like this.
  6. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)