1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

(CDC) Chronic Pain Among Adults — United States, 2019–2021, 2023, Rikard et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Tom Kindlon, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7215a1.htm

Chronic Pain Among Adults — United States, 2019–2021
    Weekly / April 14, 2023 / 72(15);379–385

Print
    S. Michaela Rikard, PhD1; Andrea E. Strahan, PhD1; Kristine M. Schmit, MD1; Gery P. Guy Jr., PhD1 (VIEW AUTHOR AFFILIATIONS)

View suggested citation
    Summary
    What is already known about this topic?

An estimated 50 million adults in the United States experienced chronic pain (i.e., pain lasting ≥3 months) in 2016, resulting in substantial health care costs and lost productivity.

What is added by this report?

During 2021, an estimated 20.9% of U.S. adults (51.6 million persons) experienced chronic pain, and 6.9% (17.1 million persons) experienced high-impact chronic pain (i.e., chronic pain that results in substantial restriction to daily activities) with a higher prevalence among non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native adults, adults identifying as bisexual, and adults who were divorced or separated.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Clinicians, practices, health systems, and payers should vigilantly attend to health inequities and ensure access to appropriate, affordable, diversified, coordinated, and effective pain management care for all persons.

======
    Among all chronic medical conditions reported, the age-adjusted prevalence of chronic pain and high-impact chronic pain was highest among adults with a history of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (70.0% and 43.8%, respectively) and dementia (54.9% and 34.2%, respectively).