1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Cashing in' on Crawleys research

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, May 4, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The obvious example is the Lightning Process......but I've been coming across a number of others who are citing Crawleys research to promote their 'product'...eg

"
    The researchers from the University of Bristol (UK) conducted the biggest study about chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
    CFS is also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). The subjects of the study were 16 year olds. It was found that nearly 2 percent of the subjects had CFS, which lasted for over six months.
    Scientists further revealed that nearly 3 percent have chronic fatigue syndrome that lasted over three months. Teens with CFS missed over half a school day every week.
    There were 5,756 participants and the researchers found that girls were more susceptible to CFS than boys. They came from families with greater adversity, which includes financial difficulties, poor housing and lack of emotional support.

According to Dr. Esther Crawley, a consultant pediatrician specializing in CFS/ME and the senior author of the report, this is an important study."

they seem to have skewed/misinterpreted the trial results even more than even Crawley managed to do.....(I'm guessing its the Children of the 90s study).

https://newswire.net/newsroom/pr/00...e-teenagers-have-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.pdf

(I do realise this is an advert for their product).

Inara, Allele, Rick Sanchez and 6 others like this.
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that’s bizarre...almost no link at all other than ...here is some reasearch that has CFS in it ...oh that will do..just bung it in our advert.

As an advertorial goes it is pretty shocking in terms of how effective it is for selling a product? It would have made more sense to link to research about mitochondria rather than kids and questionnaires? Perhaps also put a pack shot and spend more time selling the product rather than weave in a bullshit paper written by some idiot researcher that everyone thinks is an embarrassment to science.

Case of sloppy meets sloppy ...a good match. I’m thinking limited click through on that one...at least they made the link to amazon a different colour. I’ll give them 0.5/10 for that.

Inara and Amw66 like this.