1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Case report: Recovery from refractory chronic fatigue syndrome with CBT and modafinil, 2021, Garg et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract
    Many patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) fail to derive benefit from evidence-based treatments such as cognitive–behavioural therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy leading to permanent disability. To discover whether a repeat prescription of modafinil might potentiate the benefits of CBT leading to social recovery as defined by 2 or more point improvement in energy and muscular pain/concentration and return to work or full-time training. Three patients with treatment-resistant CFS (mean duration 17.66 years) treated with modafinil and CBT in a Liaison Psychiatry clinic were retrospectively reviewed. Progress was reviewed at baseline, 4–6 months and 10–24 months. Patients rated their fatigue, pain and concentration using 10-point Likert scales. 2/3 achieved clinically meaningful improvements in energy and pain/concentration and 3/3 achieved social recovery. Modafinil, when prescribed over the medium term, would appear to be a potentially useful potentiating agent when added to CBT.

Paywall, https://casereports.bmj.com/content/14/3/e240283

Modafinil "is a medication to treat sleepiness due to narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder, or obstructive sleep apnea.", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

MEMarge, Hutan, Snow Leopard and 4 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, if you don't respond to CBT, drug you up and try again?

MEMarge, Lisa108, JemPD and 11 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It seems a bizarre idea that a drug would make CBT work better. Maybe just try the drug on its own? Preferably in a double blind trial.

MEMarge, Milo, Lisa108 and 11 others like this.
  4. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Established Member (Voting Rights)

Time for a CBT+Modafinil vs. CBT only clinical trial, so we can guarantee to generate results here?

I have a prescription for modafinil, but all it does for me, after absorption, is to increase heart rate for a couple of minutes, followed by triggering PEM without a latency period. I guess I might just be missing out on the CBT, though.

Anyone got access to the whole thing? Btw, I found "treatment-resistant CFS" really funny for some reason, because it just feels like a tautology.

Anna H, shak8, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems just silly to me: look back and see if you can find any patients that were better after CBT and modanafil. Bound to find about three.

This isn't really even a case report. It is an exercise in automatic bias.

The website for Douglas Turkington Limited is intriguing.
    These people looks if they sell CBT for things it is no use for as a living.
    Gordon Douglas Turkington is a student - presumably DT's son learning the tricks of the trade. Maybe Maggie is his mum!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Anna H, shak8, MEMarge and 15 others like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's because the "evidence base" is deeply flawed. It's so bad that despite decades of the best efforts by the finest minds in Team BPS it proves that GET & CBT do not work for ME and probably not for much else.

If you're using the wrong treatment, a treatment that fails to help.the majority and makes a significant number worse, then it is not treatment resistance. It is simply the wrong treatment.

Fail.

MEMarge, Missense, Lisa108 and 11 others like this.
  7. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The paper.

Attached Files:

shak8, MEMarge, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found two possible listings for Turkingtons as directors in the Companies House website - it may be a true family business with siblings, cousins and children involved :

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07192064/officers
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11652543/officers

MEMarge, Missense, Lisa108 and 2 others like this.
  9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

mic drop