1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Carol Monaghan has applied for a debate in UK House of Commons main chamber

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with #MEAction and the MEA, because I took what they said in good faith (as did @Sasha very reasonably), and posted this very encouraging 'news' to a FB group where hope, as always, can be in very short supply for PwME. I now find I have been the purveyor of fake news, and don't feel good about it! Especially given the rapturous enthusiasm it received. Not happy.

2. EspeMor

EspeMor Established Member (Voting Rights)

Dear Barry and friends,

This was posted on social media, via Facebook and Twitter, by both charities as it was communicated at the time, in GOOD FAITH! NO ill faith was intended as you can understand, on the contrary! Business might be taking longer than usual for parliamentary things at present. That's MY understanding and my take.

Best,

Espe

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    MEMarge, Inara, andypants and 4 others like this.
  3. EspeMor

EspeMor Established Member (Voting Rights)

just to add: If you have any questions or suggestions, do email me! -> espe@meaction.net

I AM HAPPY to chat and exchange private emails with you all!

Night!

Espe

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think it's fair to blame the charities. As per the message from Carol quoted above, she understands that it will get a slot but doesn't want to count her chickens before they've hatched. Note that she's also said she doesn't see the need to retract the statements.

MEMarge, EspeMor, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  5. Barry

Yes, I do very much appreciate the comments will have been made in good faith, not suggesting otherwise at all. I just feel that these charities must have the connections needed to double check the facts before reporting as facts. Because those statements very much were counting chickens before hatched. But anyway, water under the bridge now, and I'll be a little more cautious in future.

MeSci, ladycatlover and andypants like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that, as a patient group, our history makes us unusually intolerant of any sort of positive spin. Given our situation this is a good (even necessary) thing, but I suspect that it's different to the attitude of a lot of campaigning groups.

7. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2018
  8. Barry

Makes sense. A debate just before Christmas is unlikely to get the engagement it deserves.

Liessa, petrichor, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also I heard other... things... are happening in UK politics. Small detail, I know.

Liessa, SallyC, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Carol Monaghan has just released a short film summarising what she's been up to in 2018. It starts off with the two major debates on ME treatment and research :)

lycaena, dangermouse, Liessa and 14 others like this.
  11. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Posts relating to the Backbench debate (UK Parliament) Thursday 24th January 2019 granted to Carol Monaghan have been moved to a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019