1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Carol Monaghan granted a Backbench debate (UK Parliament) Thursday 24th January 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 17, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Well at least he might make it @Suffolkres.

it baffles me though why the staff so often feel it necessary to waste everyone’s time by throwing in unnecessary standard paragraphs. As if you don’t already know all that info far better than them. A simple response with the final paragraph would have been perfectly adequate and a lot less annoying. Sorry for moaning - it’s one of my pet hates.

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had a response from my MP who has confirmed that she will speak during the debate.
    This is great news. She is a breast cancer surgeon, cuts through crap and takes no prisoners.
    Great bullshitometer.

3. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know, .......teaching me with 20 of battling to suck eggs, but at least I can throw his expressed knowledge of ME and quote it to the CCGS, his CCG excuse my French....( bast**ds) who are tricky to say the least and with whom I am doing battle as I speak!

4. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Geez what’s the point of writing to MPs for objective scrutiny if they’re going to reply bsck that and tell you how much a priority your highly debilitating illness is, with an array of treatments available it seems to be targeted to the individual, a glorious pick n mix of CBT and GET or GET alone or simply delicious CBT. I suppose if he goes despite not feeling he needs to make any Points, I mean what’s to say, he might still vote...

So the charities are calling for a parliamentary debate because everything’s going swimmingly

Edit it seems from above this might be standard fobbing off material added in by staff so maybe he himself has more knowledge

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  5. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Had a response from Nicky Morgan to whom I had sent good wishes for the debate. She commented “ I hope we can do you and all other sufferers justice.” Good words.

She keeps popping up in Brexit so I had wondered if she might have other commitments. Glad to have it confirmed that she will be there tomorrow.

Do hope we have a good turnout..

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That is very good news that Nicky Morgan will be there on our side. Party politics aside, she's a good communicator.

7. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EspeMor, Amw66 and Cinders66 like this.
  8. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The issue is his home CCGS are out of order and need to be put down with a firm foot! They are pushing for what patients don't want and they are running a fatigue clinic not an ME clinic. Sheep and goats.... And they are in charge of a contract covering 2.5 million population!

MSEsperanza, ukxmrv and Amw66 like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My MP (Scott Mann) won't be able to make it:

"Many thanks for taking the time to contact Scott regarding the ME Debate on January 24th.

Unfortunately, due to prior commitments, Scott is unable to attend the event. However, he will ensure to request a briefing.

In the meantime you may be interested to know that at Scott's recent surgery he met with a constituent who suffers with ME where they discussed in detail the effect of the condition which Scott is sympathetic too. They also discussed the treatment available and the MAIMES campaign which appears to be gathering momentum.

Please feel free to contact us again should you wish to discuss this further."

10. NelliePledge

Great news as an ex cabinet minister and current chair of the Treasury Select Committee she adds political weight to our cause.

ladycatlover, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

Brilliant

MEMarge, MeSci, Binkie4 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My MP said she had pre-existing commitments but would arrange a home visit with me to discuss ME and the issues around it.

13. NelliePledge

My MP will try to attend at the end as they have another engagement tomorrow afternoon. - so a maybe

I also have an ongoing offer to arrange a meeting which I haven’t managed to take up yet.

ETA this is progress in the level of interest since previously not signing EDM, attending Unrest screening or February or June Westminster Hall debates

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent.

ladycatlover, Trish and NelliePledge like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just been re-reading the motion and thinking about it, and I think great care is needed with this bit:

"supports the suspension of Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy as means of treatment".

It's important to make clear that this is a suspension of recommending GET/CBT as evidence based treatments, rather than a call for them to be banned. The NHS should not be spending money on homeopathy, or recommending it as an evidence based treatment, but at the same time individuals should be able to pursue and spend their own money on things without a legitimate evidence base.

I think it's important to be clear that this is about downgrading CBT/GET to the level of homeopathy rather than singling these treatments out with bans. I think that we can easily defend downgrading the recommendations of CBT/GET, and the debate about that measure plays to our strengths, but if this can be portrayed as an anti-patient choice measure then it would be far easier to make us seem unreasonable.

Graham, andypants and JemPD like this.
  16. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants, Gecko, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've assumed this is very carefully worded. The government could not call for the abolition of CBT/GET, because it is presumably down to what NICE recommends, and has to be left down to NICE. But given the NICE guideline is being overhauled, I imagine this motion is doing what it can much more legitimately do: calling for CBT/GET to be suspended, given that a key reason the NICE guideline is being updated is due to concerns about such treatments. I think a motion that called for the abolition of CBT/GET would be sure to get voted down because it would be outside the prerogative of government, and deemed interference, but calling for its suspension holds much more water, hopefully much better chance of being voted for.

rvallee, MeSci, andypants and 4 others like this.
  18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree with @Barry but I do think - given the BPSers usual tactics - that this is a very important point. It's late, but can anyone get this point across to any of the key players before the debate. Who has CM's ear?

andypants likes this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2019
    Esther12, MeSci, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  20. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)