1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Neuroscientists Say Daily Ibuprofen Can Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Webdog, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.iospress.nl/ios_news/ca...ily-ibuprofen-can-prevent-alzheimers-disease/

2. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i think this might contradict or clarify the recent reports that anticholinergics including ibuprofen are correlated with dementia.

oldtimer likes this.
  3. Webdog

Little Bluestem likes this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not convinced, and daily ibuprofen would likely have side effects.
    That said the test is interesting if its accurate and verified and would suggest something worth researching towards a treatment or cure.

5. Webdog

Several papers have been published about the familial early onset Alzheimer's that runs on my mother's side of the family. My grandmother didn't know the names of her own children by the time she was in her 50s.

How much ibuprofen should one take daily? I can't seem to find that that little bit of info. But little harm in taking 200 mg, which I'll start today.

ETA: I'm not suggesting everyone take ibuprofen. This is my personal decision, which at some point soon I'll talk over with my doctor.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  6. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

As a warning, my brothers once took Advil, and immediately got tinnitus, which many years later they still suffer from today. There is no way in *ell I would get near the stuff!

I think you can find a few studies about the consequences of taking it in the long term.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/medications-that-can-cause-tinnitus

Barry and Samuel like this.
  7. Alvin

I like that WebMD said :woot:

MErmaid likes this.
  8. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Thanks! Most people are unaware of the side effects. I don’t have tinnitus, because I listened to my brothers many years ago, before it was blasted all over the internet.(back then, I could only find it it on the FDA webpage).

9. Alvin

Indeed, many of the drugs we take could do with more research, 6-8 week trials for approval is a joke on consumers.

MeSci likes this.
  10. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

The FDA captures the side-effects as consumers report them directly to the FDA or indirectly to the Pharma. Essentially, the consumer is assuming the role, of a post FDA approved “trial” participant, whether they are aware or not.

It’s seems to be all about money and politics, and less about ensuring people are healthy and safe.

ladycatlover and Little Bluestem like this.
  11. Alvin

Few consumers know about the FDA reporting program and even less doctors. Its no substitute for long term large patient clinical trials

12. Webdog

We are talking about an over-the-counter pain reliever used by millions (if not billions) since the 1970s, right? :)

Little Bluestem and TigerLilea like this.
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personally, I'd rather have tinnitus than Alzheimers. ;)

14. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

@Webdog

I hope my comments were not offensive.

Generally speaking, I was raised to believe that illness was “all in my head”, so I had very limited access to Rx or over the counter meds, along with the rest of my family. My family, for the most part, still operates this way.

Before I was properly diagnosed with ME, I thought I had the early stages of dementia, because I could not remember anything, and my life seemed like one big blur.

MeSci and Little Bluestem like this.
  15. Webdog

No offense taken! :)

16. Alvin

And?
    I had a nearly fatal side effect from a "safe" drug that is still in use today and prescribed to millions. Drugs such as Pemoline were used for over 60 years before being withdrawn. There are many examples, and we have no idea if common drugs are raising the risk for diseases we do not understand well from Diabetes to Alzheimers to Parkinsons to Dementia and so on. If its not a deadly or debilitating long term side effect it also does still matter.
    There have been some studies on common drugs to see if they raise the risk of common diseases, but in the end we simply don't have a complete understanding of how the body works and drug testing comes down to giving it to many human guinea pigs and seeing what happens. The minimum trials to get approval only tell you if side effects show up during the short tests, and unless its serious few effects get voluntarily reported to a system most don't even know they can report to.
    In my opinion all drugs should be subject to long term trials and statistically examined for risks to common and uncommon diseases. The latter is not easy to accomplish since many people take more then one drug simultaneously and treatment lengths would be highly variable, but if you don't look you will never see. Sometimes this is a feature and not a bug. Perhaps long term polling of every drug prescribed would lead to trends being discovered, turning the FDA voluntary reporting program to a large database of millions of sample points for each drug. A logistical nightmare but if there is a will it can be done.

Heck it goes beyond drugs, just look at trans fats and Bisphenol A...

17. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Definately, if I was properly diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, and tinnitus was the only side effect!

MeSci likes this.
  18. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Then add head injuries and vaccines on top of that. Then add pollution, GMO, pesticides, etc. I worked on top of 2 SuperFund sites, and many other places that routinely dumped toxic crap into the ground, water, & air.

It’s a big snarled up mess, at this point. As long as the FDA database captures all of these points, IMO, it would be a lot more useful.

My body in one big endocrine disruption! And I am mad as h*ll about it!

https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/index.cfm

19. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem with Alzheimers is that symptoms don't start appearing until approximately 10 years after the disease starts. So unless there is a test that can detect this illness early on, it's a bit late to be starting treatment after the fact.

20. Webdog

The article claims "We now have a simple test that can indicate if a person is fated to develop Alzheimer’s disease long before it begins to develop."

Will that pan out, or is it just another unsupported claim, we shall know in time.