1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you recommend a good online polling site?

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Sasha, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone recommend a good, reputable polling website where it's free to set up a poll and where people who take part don't have to register?

I'm aware that S4ME has a polling capability, but I'm looking for something that can be done independently (and without registration, as I said).

Thanks! :)

Edit: I've realised that another necessary feature is that it would be good if the poll could cope with a big preamble before the questions, that sets them in context - although that could be placed elsewhere, if necessary.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Simon M, Melanie and Trish like this.
  2. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Survey Monkey and Doodle have been good options for me in the past, albeit for slightly different uses.

Simon M, Melanie, MErmaid and 2 others like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I may be able to set something up here so that unregistered users could vote but I'm not sure if that would deal with guests coming back.

Simon M, Melanie and Sasha like this.
  4. Sasha

Thanks, Dr Carrot (great name!). I had a quick look at Doodle yesterday and I wondered if it required people to enter a name rather than just click an option (as it does when you use it as a meeting-organiser). Do you know? (That is, enter a name rather than register.)

Melanie likes this.
  5. Sasha

Thanks, Adrian, but for this poll I think it would be best to have something offsite so that people from other forums wouldn't feel awkward about taking part.

Simon M and Melanie like this.
  6. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes - you're right on that one, apologies, it has a slightly different use. Would recommend survey monkey in that case - also possibly PollDaddy, though that may not be free anymore, I forget.

Melanie and Sasha like this.
  7. hedgehog

hedgehog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Strawpoll fits what you’re looking for, although not sure how much it lets you write with the question.

Simon M and Melanie like this.
  8. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Google Forms allows you to set up a really nice-looking free questionnaire that has a large range of question presentation options (multiple choice options, checkboxes, drop down menus, slider scales from 1 to 5, text boxes for long written answers, etc).

So you can set up questionnaires with just one question, or dozens of different questions if you like, with each question using its own question presentation options. You can also add text to the questionnaire that helps explain each question, and you can add preamble text at the beginning of the questionnaire (or at any point in the questionnaire form) to explain things.

Google's questionnaire form creator is pretty user friendly, and it offers a series of ready-made questionnaire templates which you can use, and modify to your own needs.

The questionnaire results can be displayed as nice pie charts, and the questionnaire's individual answers from respondents are all stored in a spreadsheet located within your Google drive.

There are options to allow users to respond without registering at all; and alternatively you can set an option (by selecting "Limit to 1 response" in the Settings) that requires users to sign in with their Google account before responding (this is useful if you want to help ensure that each person only answers the questionnaire once).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Simon M, hedgehog, Melanie and 3 others like this.
  9. Sasha

Thanks, @Hip, that sounds very interesting.

Hip and Melanie like this.