1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Calcium signalling; calcium channels

Discussion in 'Cellular (mitochondria, metabolites, cytokines)' started by Hutan, May 2, 2021.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Split thread
    from
    Genome-wide association study identifies RNF123 locus as associated with chronic widespread musculoskeletal pain, Md Shafiqur Rahman, et al, 2020

I was reading about calcium channels the other day.
    This reference about them is very readable and interesting. Don't be put off by the reference to breast cancer, there's a lot of general stuff.
    Calcium signaling: breast cancer’s approach to manipulation of cellular circuitry

Given the wide varieties of processes calcium is involved with, it would almost be surprising for it not to be involved in chronic pain and in ME/CFS.

The paper I linked has a nice diagram of a whole lot of different calcium pumps, including ATP driven ones (which is what the ATP2C1 one seems to be).

What I thought was really interesting, aside from the number of different types of calcium channels, is that the signalling is a lot more complicated than just the concentration of calcium inside the cell. There are things like pulses of calcium inflow, with the speed of the pulse affecting the signalling. And then there is the gradient of calcium within the cell, and all sorts of other details that makes things work.

It's amazing stuff.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    shak8, Michelle, merylg and 12 others like this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This recent hypothesis paper proposes a calcium problem in ME (not that I understand any of it).
    https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-021-02833-2

Discussed here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/patho...ces-in-me-cfs-2021-wirth-scheibenbogen.20256/

Michelle, merylg, Snowdrop and 2 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Loss of mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake protein 3 impairs skeletal muscle calcium handling and exercise capacity
    Abstract
    Mitochondrial calcium concentration ([Ca2+]m) plays an essential role in bioenergetics, and loss of [Ca2+]m homeostasis can trigger diseases and cell death in numerous cell types. Ca2+ uptake into mitochondria occurs via the mitochondrial Ca2+ uniporter (MCU), which is regulated by three mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake (MICU) proteins localized in the intermembrane space, MICU1, 2, and 3. We generated a mouse model of systemic MICU3 ablation and examined its physiological role in skeletal muscle. We found that loss of MICU3 led to impaired exercise capacity. When the muscles were directly stimulated there was a decrease in time to fatigue. MICU3 ablation significantly increased the maximal force of the KO muscle and altered fibre type composition with an increase in the ratio of type IIb (low oxidative capacity) to type IIa (high oxidative capacity) fibres. Furthermore, MICU3-KO mitochondria have reduced uptake of Ca2+ and increased phosphorylation of pyruvate dehydrogenase, indicating that KO animals contain less Ca2+ in their mitochondria. Skeletal muscle from MICU3-KO mice exhibited lower net oxidation of NADH during electrically stimulated muscle contraction compared with wild-type. These data demonstrate that MICU3 plays a role in skeletal muscle physiology by setting the proper threshold for mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake, which is important for matching energy demand and supply in muscle.
    [​IMG]
    Key points
    • Mitochondrial calcium uptake is an important regulator of bioenergetics and cell death and is regulated by the mitochondrial calcium uniporter (MCU) and three calcium sensitive regulatory proteins (MICU1, 2 and 3).
    • Loss of MICU3 leads to impaired exercise capacity and decreased time to skeletal muscle fatigue.
    • Skeletal muscle from MICU3-KO mice exhibits a net oxidation of NADH during electrically stimulated muscle contractions, suggesting that MICU3 plays a role in skeletal muscle physiology by matching energy demand and supply.
    https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/JP284894

Amw66, Mij and Kitty like this.