1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Buzzfeed News - A Controversial Therapy For ME Has Led To Claims Of Death Threats, Harassment, And Pseudoscience

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Nicolas the french guy, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I didn't mean you specifically, just the general you, as in: one should be careful what one wishes for...

Luther Blissett and ladycatlover like this.
  2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, @Jonathan Edwards. Thank you for your contribution to the Buzzfeed article, and the other statements you have made in support of pwme. They are always very welcome, and I should have recognised them.

I do remember one that was something to the effect that you are retired whereas other researchers are still dependant on the UK research system for career progression which is a concern for them. The treatment of Keith Geraghty is a case in point.

I am wondering however why 2 UK charities are still working closely with Esther Crawley within the CMRC. I can see no reason for them to do this. The " in the tent" argument has imho produced no benefits for pwme.

ahimsa, Lidia, Valentijn and 10 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jen Brea is doing a fantastic job of bridging the gap between PwME and the wider community, and helping A. N. Other to see how very badly the BPS science club have been bullying PwME, and manipulating the ME agenda. She is indeed awesome.

David Tuller is also fantastic. Completely different style, helping build different bridges more focused on the scientific debate. With the active involvement/support of some great advocates and scientists.

Two very different people, both dedicated to the same cause, and both very effective in their own complementary ways. A two-pronged approach that could bode well for 2018.

EC really should not have p*ssed them both off (from her point of view that is).

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You will get no argument from me, i am very thorough but one can't predict the future.
    That said i am reminded of the expression Fortune favours the bold. When you want to achieve great successes you have to take strong (well thought out) action

5. Alvin

Indeed, she has hit a needed lever here, public awareness and education as advocacy.

I noticed that too, he is amazingly good at tearing down alternative facts (also known as lies).

Very true, though we need more prongs, as many as we can muster.

So far she is made of teflon, she has done more harm to ME/CFS patients then we have been able to undo, but the battle is not over, we need to penetrate that teflon and discredit her in the public eye. If quackery and lies are shunned whats left is science. Not easy or quick but it needs to be done.

Keela Too, Solstice, Allele and 7 others like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Favorite observation from the article:

TigerLilea, Viola, Justy and 21 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True. But two prongs are likely more than twice as effective than one. Fewer, but effective, prongs much better than lots of ineffective ones.

8. Alvin

True, but if we can build an army of 50 more :D

9. large donner

large donner Guest

How about we all unlike loads of your posts!!!!

Skycloud, Inara, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it must have to do with sources of funding and having paid staff.

Viola, MeSci, Valentijn and 8 others like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the tent.....out of the tent......

Let's just get rid of the tent!

Solstice, Valentijn, Cheshire and 8 others like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think the MEA only funds through donations, sales and membership fees. They don't have any government funding. Don't know about AfME.

Edit to add:
    It is up to MEA members to write to the organisation board to request exit from the tent - I have done so, but unfortunately most members are likely to be completely unaware of the situation, as I was until I joined PR.

Binkie4, Solstice, Valentijn and 6 others like this.
  13. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was being serious :p

If I get loads of likes, (like I did for the original post) it makes it harder for me filter messages.

I don't want to miss someone asking for help as I whiz through a long list of 'likes'.

I know this sounds spectacularly ungrateful, but If I turn my like notifications off I miss whether a useful post has been liked or understood by someone needing help.

Please someone steal my post :emoji_warning:

(If it's hard to format pm me and I'll send you the bbcode version)

14. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I completely sympathise @Luther Blissett - I had to turn like notifications off because foggy brained me kept missing alerts I needed to respond to.
    I hope we can revisit ideas for changing the alert notifications at some stage in the future - having them colour coded or having a separate tab for like alerts might help.
    But this is off topic, I'll give myself a stern talking to.

Viola, Dolphin, Keela Too and 5 others like this.
  15. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe, but that's no excuse. The charities should be there to unequivocally promote the interests and care of patients. Personally I don't think any ME charity should in anyway sit on the fence or appease the BPS brigade, no matter what.

16. Luther Blissett

Alvin has offered to do the deed for me :)

Dolphin, ladycatlover, Inara and 5 others like this.
  17. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love the Dorothy Bishop quote
    that is textbook damning with faint praise.

TigerLilea, Viola, Dolphin and 17 others like this.
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting hearing about how people use the forum in different ways. I confess I rarely look at my alerts. And I don't trawl through to see who liked what. Life's too short. I just look at threads I'm following and new threads.

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Notifications of likes can be turned off in your account settings.

20. Luther Blissett