1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brain volume loss is present in Japanese multiple sclerosis patients with no evidence of disease activity (2018) Yokote et al.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Webdog, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brain volume loss in Multiple Sclerosis patients with no evidence of disease activity predicts future disability. Brain atrophy has recently been recognized as a pivotal biomarker that is closely associated to disability in patients with MS.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10072-018-3487-y

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this what they call a no-brainer? If brain is missing you are surely likely to be disabled and go on being so. That makes no difference to the fact that it is logical to make the target of treatment no further damaging (brain-losing) episodes.

3. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not so fast. I have repeatedly tested with mild brain atrophy on MRI's, but have to fight regularly for disability. I suppose it's a function of degree, but when it's your brain, well...

I wonder a lot if other pwME have some sort of brain atrophy, or if it is even looked for. I think it depends also, at least in part, who is doing the looking.