1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brain Science on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2018, Watanabe

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by John Mac, Nov 15, 2018.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article from the Japanese researcher Watanabe summarising his work.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30416112

Inara, Simon M, Lidia and 9 others like this.
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone explain what these contradictory statements mean?
    The original article was written in Japanese could this be a translation problem?

Inara likes this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It makes sense if you interpret the first sentence as referring to the situation before their PET study.

Hutan, MEMarge, Inara and 7 others like this.
  4. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. The first sentence was the case (past tense), while the second sentence is now the case (present tense).

andypants, MEMarge, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  5. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how the original text relating to 'the over-guarding phenomenon' would be properly translated?

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I imagine that if you were to change "Our recent PET study successfully ..." to "Now however, our recent PET study successfully ..."

7. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So to me anyway it’s confusing. Occasionally there is a study cited hear that finds a brain inflammation or a change in brain temperature, but there are also studies finding nine.

It certainly feels like something non-normal is going on in one’s brain; mild headaches, that don’t match up with any normal headache But do track with episodes of more brain fog and greater dysfunction. There was a finding of elwvated brain temperature and some specific, critical brain section, but nothing that would chilling an MRI. Dizziness, tonight is unrelated to any loud sounds, Those seem like brain dysfunction as well.

Is no one looking in the right place? Many studies seem to focus on blood tests, I don’t see any guarantees that whatever is wrong has to be evident in the blood. It’s convenient to test blood, but it doesn’t mean that’s where you dropped your keys.