1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BPS attempts at psychologizing Long Covid

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by rvallee, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To illustrate his idea, he chose an example where (allegedly) a group of men in Africa started believing that someone had stolen their penises. In this story, the patients are portrayed as utterly dumb. Presumably he also thinks patients with long covid are utterly dumb - for failing to see the to him obvious truth that their symptoms aren't caused by a virus but by stress.

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seem to have read this story elsewhere. I think Wessely may have told it. Can't remember where.

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a story to tell today at dinner with the family, about penis thefts. We all laughed. At least these stories are good for something. Maybe entertainment is why they're popular.

4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The story is not credible.

If, from the authors perspective it is true, then that would imply that a 'person' has had the mickey taken out of him - and has fallen hook line and sinker for it.

Believe it or not there is a fairly easy test to determine if such a thing has been stolen, that doesn't require a medical degree to carry out.

Thick, stupid and ignorant as we are, most men could carry out such a check, without extensive training.

One has to ask why, in the face of such 'allegations' the recipient chose to make an anecdote out of it rather than do a quick physical.

5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I already opened up shop on S4ME a few years ago. I couldn't afford malpractice insurance, many who were 'treated' through my transparant (thanks @Invisible Woman) business manager simply wanted to sue for feeling worse. Who knew?

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Tweets by Solve ME.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1340084614996496384

https://twitter.com/user/status/1340084616875495424

This post has been copied and the discussion of the suggestion in the letter that MS was once seen as psychosomatic have been moved to this thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/psych...of-physical-diseases.16931/page-4#post-311082

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021
    Wits_End, shak8, MEMarge and 14 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent letter. It would be good to have a 'standardised' version to send/quote to any similar publication/ author of such false statements , particularly here in the UK.

shak8, MEMarge, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What he does not realise is that the anecdote about the African men actually illustrates the main problem with BPS practitioners. They prefer to come up with long complicated theories about disease being caused by stress and faulty cognition without doing any basic physical examinations.

Hutan, Sean, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Often having to use anecdotes going back farther than a century. That is usually (by which I mean almost always) a very clear sign of a fool's errand.

And I do love those examples where they take obvious metaphors, obviously nobody believed their dick was actually missing, people can be weird about spiritual beliefs and say things that are not meant to be literal, and pretend they were said seriously.

When you have to use obviously fake examples, reaching back decades, to prove a point, that point was never meant to be taken seriously.

And of course it's telling that Internet trolls say the exact same things. I mean exactly, it's almost remarkable how identical the arguments are, even and including how "post-viral fatigue has always been around" on the topic of Long Covid. That's usually another big tell but people who don't clue in on that were never going to clue in on anything anyway.

10. rvallee

I can't really find a suitable thread for this. Symptom focus is a very common trope relating to "somatization". It is assumed to be true, that focus is what makes the symptoms bothersome. Nevermind... everything and especially common sense. In fact diminishing symptoms tend to go unnoticed, the relief of taking notice of the symptom and marveling that it's gone long is common. Not surprising as this is how it almost always goes, including minor acute ones.

Of course we know this to be BS but it's interesting how people improving with Long Covid yet again blow the entire concept to bits and pieces. This is but one example but it is frankly a good one. There are many like it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1343424320899579905

Especially interesting as I remember one of the PACE-style trials, the one on IBS, that basically blamed everything on doing exactly doing this: waking up, focusing on symptoms and assuming they will be there, making them bothersome. Again, complete BS.

MEMarge, Amw66, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  11. rvallee

The Austrian psychosomatic zealots are at it again.

https://www.bhswien.at/iii-med-abteilung-psychosomatik/angebot/post-covid-19-programm

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.bhswien.at/iii-med-abteilung-psychosomatik/angebot/post-covid-19-programm

"Innovative"
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1349447766439821314

12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how David Tuller' a seminar/ talk to Paul Garner and colleagues (?) Re PACE went?

Is there potentially a means of a counter narrative bring prompted from within the medics ranks?

@dave30th

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://translate.google.com/transl...12/11/covid-waar-geen-einde-aan-komt-a4023536

Most people recover from post-viral symptoms so I'm not sure it should be assumed that fear played a role in his symptoms, but who knows? He did end up in a very odd position.

14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The Medical Department for Internal Medicine and Psychosomatic Medicine is a pioneer and renowned department in the treatment of psychosomatic diseases.

Says The Medical Department for Internal Medicine and Psychosomatic Medicine.

MEMarge, Wits_End, tmrw and 5 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Andy and Trish like this.
  17. rvallee

Maybe this needs its own thread but... uh... not worth it. Same old predictable tripe. Also: pre-print.

Post-COVID-19 Symptom Burden: What is Long-COVID and How Should We Manage It?

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-164000/v1

Abstract:
    The enduring impact of COVID-19 on patients has been examined in recent studies, leading to the description of Long-COVID. We report the lasting symptom burden of COVID-19 patients from the first wave of the pandemic. All patients with COVID-19 pneumonia discharged from a large teaching hospital trust were offered follow-up. We assessed symptom burden at follow-up using a standardised data collection technique during virtual outpatient clinic appointments. Eighty-six percent of patients reported at least one residual symptom at follow-up. No patients had persistent radiographic abnormalities. The presence of symptoms at follow-up was not associated with the severity of the acute COVID-19 illness. Females were significantly more likely to report residual symptoms including anxiety (p=0.001), fatigue (p=0.004), and myalgia (p=0.022). The presence of long-lasting symptoms is common in COVID-19 patients. We suggest that the phenomenon of Long-COVID may not be directly attributable to the effect of SARS-CoV-2, and believe the biopsychosocial effects of COVID-19 may play a greater role in its aetiology.

Discussion:
    We suggest the impact of a new, poorly understood, and lethal virus and the associated societal disruption it has caused must not be understated.
    With the paucity of evidence available, we question whether Long-COVID exists as a new disease with distinct pathophysiology. We suggest it is a new manifestation of a well-recognised phenomenon that can be observed after other traumatic events, as opposed to the persistent effect of COVID-19.
    Data from the COVID symptom study App identified self-reported fatigue as the commonest complaint in a large group of Long-COVID patients [8]. If these symptoms were persistent at 4 months, they would meet the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) diagnostic criteria for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). A CFS diagnosis is considered when patients report post-exertional fatigue, cognitive difficulties, sleep disturbance, and chronic pain [16]. This is a remarkably similar symptom complex that we and others have observed in Long COVID. There are also marked epidemiological similarities. Female preponderance is well described in the CFS literature [17] and obesity is also associated with greater symptom burden [18].

Conclusions:
    We report data consistent with current evidence on the prevalence of post-COVID-19 symptom burden. We demonstrate an absence of association between symptom burden and radiographic or biochemical abnormality. We suggest that the phenomenon of Long-COVID may not be directly attributable to the effect of SARS-CoV-2, but rather the neuropsychiatric insults may play a greater role in its aetiology. Our observations help to inform decisions on service design and priorities for the care of these patients.

At least they are honest that all it is a belief. But it is kind of telling how they admit that when they mean "biopsychosocial effects" they 100% mean psychiatric, or something like that. It's largely argued here because... women be hysterical. As best as I can tell from the ramblings. And not enough coughing? Honestly I can't make sense of this tripe. This is a position paper, not serious research. It's an NHS trust promoting its belief system.

Edit: just marveling at the argument here: we checked known things and didn't find anything, therefore this is not an unknown thing. It ages like fine wine. Same stuff as Wessely, who did the same thing. True galactic genius.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Simbindi, alktipping, Wyva and 6 others like this.
  18. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They only looked at people who were hospitalized with pneumonnia, right? And say their post covid symptoms are (neuro)psychiatric.

What about pwLC that only had very mild symptoms and never needed hospital care? What has been so "traumatic" about their illness? The mere diagnosis of a positive Corona PCR? Mass hysteria?

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if they would have been saying the same to HIV/AIDs patients back in the day?

"Neurological impairment affects approximately 60% of HIV-infected patients"

(haven't posted a link because there are numerous research articles on the subject of HIV dementia)

20. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paywalled editorial by infamous columnist/journalist Hanne Kjöller, in Sweden's largest morning paper (I can't believe they keep publishing her harmful rubbish :grumpy:).

DN: Berättelsen om långtidscovid går inte ihop ("The story about long covid does not make sense")
    https://www.dn.se/ledare/hanne-kjoller-berattelsen-om-langtidscovid-gar-inte-ihop/

She starts off by suggesting that the proportion of covid patients who go on to develop long-term symptoms is very different from country to country. According to her, this means you can't explain it biomedically.

She points out that almost everyone's strength and fitness gets worse as we age.

Then she starts talking about social infection (meaning people catching a mental/psychsomatic illness from talking and reading about it, for example on social media) and cultural illness (a culture-bound syndrome, ie psychosomatic).

She then goes on to talk about sex, how she finds the experience is negatively affected if she's thinking about what an idiot her boss is, while she's doing it... in what looks like an attempt to demonstrate that touch is not just touch but thoughts too.

Snow Leopard, MEMarge, Sean and 6 others like this.