1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Body mass in adolescents with chronic pain: observational study - Gauntlett-Gilbert, Bhat,Clinch 2019

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2019/11/28/archdischild-2019-317843?rss=1

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We observe an inverse correlation. Body mass decreases , pain increases.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that's another "common wisdom" used in standard practice that seems to be completely made-up. Almost like there's a pattern of some kind, to make claims with zero evidence and never budge. We get it, a lower body mass is healthier overall but, no, it is not a damn magic pill. I have below average BMI. Guess what: still always in pain and sometimes in high levels of pain.

Anyway, do fat cells even have nociception? I'm pretty sure it's been established that the number of fat cells do not change, only their size. So I have no idea how those two things could be connected in any way other than lazy beliefs.

Although this nugget:
    So the "pain treatment" rehabilitation did not reduce pain. That's hitting two birds with 14 lbs if I ever saw one. Can it really be called "pain treatment" if it does not even affect pain?

I do appreciate the conclusion, though. It is rare. Because lost among all this obsession with pathologizing normal behavior as being the cause of all chronic illness is the reality that people with genuine mental illness also do get sick and this obsession is blocking their access to standard medical care by making managing an (as of yet) untreatable and unrelated problem as a condition to that medical care. On that it's the opposite of the two birds: it not only fails to fix the intended problem but actually makes everything worse off. Might want to change the thought process that lead to something this wrong happening in the first place.