1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BMJ podcast: Psychological coercion in UK government workfare programmes (11 minutes), 2015

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Haveyoutriedyoga, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a full paper somewhere out there too.

Key points
    Route out to employment is positive mindset
    Lack of employment is a character deficit.
    Maintenance of a positive affect is woven into decisions over sanctions.
    Occurring in job centres and private provider premises, places of serious power dynamic.
    Psychological benefits of work being exaggerated at a time when low paid/below proper living wages being so common
    Ideas taken from and legitimate by psychology are being used in socially coercive and punative ways. Psychology and psychiatry professionals in positions of power should be taking more responsibility to call this out, currently its disabled people's groups and other groups pulling that weight. No formal response to the issue by the major psych bodies, only by some individuals psychs.
    Other issues surrounding psychological coercion are the proposal to put psychologists in job centres and the proposal that claimants who refuse specific treatments may have their benefits cut.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021
    sebaaa, Sean, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  2. Haveyoutriedyoga

Ps apologies for the brevity, using my phone.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I just noticed this is from 6 years ago. I don't know what happened with the idea of putting psychologists in job centres.

4. Haveyoutriedyoga

United against welfare cuts and welfare reform: report from the lobby of the British Psychological Society conference, 18th January 2017
    https://freepsychotherapynetwork.com/category/jobcentres/

Edit:
    This guy is having the same bright idea all over again. Posted since the pandemic started.
    "Job Centres need to be places where people receive professional support with both their job search and mental health issues. The goal: employability and personal stability. This will require the existing role of Work Coach to change to one of Employability and Social Support Advisor – a role that is professionalised and well paid to reflect the heavy workloads and social responsibilities they already undertake as social worker, psychologist, friend, parent, guide and job adviser."
    https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/BeyondThePandemic_unemployment

I've been on the gov website and looked at guidance for contractors, it talks plenty about sanctions and mandatory activities but doesn't specify either.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    sebaaa, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  5. Haveyoutriedyoga

Amw66, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this one?
    Positive affect as coercive strategy: conditionality, activation and the role of psychology in UK government workfare programmes.

https://mh.bmj.com/content/41/1/40

7. think_that_it_might

think_that_it_might Senior Member (Voting Rights)

iirc IDS and George Osborne lost their jobs and the impetus behind an ever more unpleasant agenda went away for a bit. Now there's talk of post covid austerity and there's a danger of the old stuff being floated again, we're already hearing old chestnuts again like job centre engagement for the most disabled and 'focus on what they can do', etc

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I'm pretty good at crashing - but in order to do it professionally I'd want at least £100K pa, dental, and at least 52 weeks (pa) paid holiday.

9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, but do you have a HGV licence? :laugh:

Missense, Peter Trewhitt and Wonko like this.