1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: Placebos Can Fool Your Mind, but Not Your Body by James Coyne

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Andy, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Copy and paste link
    Code:
    https://medium.com/beingwell/placebos-can-fool-your-mind-but-not-your-body-75c8a66790f7

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see a massive flaw in the above argument.

No, one, takes, one, aspirin.

Aspirin also isn't great for headaches, not mine anyway, ibuprofen or paracetamol work better, in at least pairs.

BTW is he saying that aspirin is a placebo?

3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see another one....

Pain relief of choice aside, we all know that the headache is going to go away eventually. We take pain relief to make it go away quicker.

So the question is not whether the medication made the pain go away, it is whether is reduced pain to a more tolerable level more quickly than would otherwise have been the case.

Lidia, John Mac, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember reading many years ago that the commonest cause of ordinary headaches is dehydration. So I started drinking some water if I got a headache just to see what would happen. I would say that it works to get rid of headache often enough that it is worth continuing this habit. If I am no better within 10 - 15 minutes I'll take a couple of paracetamol.

5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The feeling of a new, snug pair of socks makes me believe anything is possible.

oldtimer, John Mac, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
  6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For people with ME (and probably others) there can be a strong effect from a very small amount of some medications. I can sleep quite well sometimes with one co-codamol, and more that that now gives me constipation.

7. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the invention of forms based on the subjectivity of individuals is responsible for so much stupidity in the academic /medical circles with their ridiculous belief in an abstract ie the mind having power over the physical a belief created by philosophers in ancient greece that should have have lost all credence in a so called scientific age . just infuriating how this has been disseminated as some kind of fact over two and a half millennia .

Mij, JemPD, EzzieD and 1 other person like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Another reason why taking a headache pill is a poor example occurred to me.

Unless you're suffering from something fairly serious it is simply not permissible to be ill, take time out and allow nature to take it's course.

It is no longer the done thing to take a couple of days or a week off if a person catches the flu, for example. No, you take something that makes you feel better but leaves you infectious so you can feel well enough to go out and about and infect others, who in turn will buy something that allows them to do the same and so on. Slogans that talk about separating the men from the boys have been used in ad campaigns for these cold and flu products, implying only the weak "give in" and allow themselves to feel ill.

Culturally, it is not acceptable to allow a mere headache to knock you out of action for a few hours. There are also a great number of people who can't afford to miss out on an afternoon's work.

So, given that many feel that taking a few hours out when suffering from a headache is a luxury they can't afford either in terms of self image or financially, an asprin (paracetamol or ibuprofen) at least gives a feeling of being able to take control or do something about it. In the ever turning hamster wheel that is modern life that feeling of having some control is likely to have some psychological benefit in and of itself that has nothing to do with a placebo effect.

Edit - spelling & omitted word

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    alktipping, Mij, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think he was saying that lots of people take one aspirin as a painkiller, it was just an example off the top of his head.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

my mother did. Hated taking tablets thought they were all poison and only EVER took 1 of anything.... asprin, paracetamol, ibuprofen. Acted as though taking 2 was basically overdosing & 'if you take too many you'll become immune and they will stop working'.

She said it always worked 'oh no one will be more than enough for me' & it always was. Nothing you said or showed her would persuade her otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    alktipping, Mithriel, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do wish he would proof read his blogs there are several missing/added words
    Is this supposed to have the word 'effective' in it? it doesnt make sense.

alktipping and DigitalDrifter like this.
  12. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps a better example placebo than the single aspirin is how I use the ‘energy drink’ Lucozade.

When I was a child Lucozade was still marketed as a health drink to be used as part of treating common ailments like cold and flue. For me Lucozade is inseparably linked to being taken care of, to having a fire lit in the bedroom grate, to chicken soup, etc. So I will now have the drink at times when my ME is particularly bad or I am in a lot of pain not because it has any impact on my condition but because by association it makes me ‘feel good’.

(Though having said that I am aware of over looking the confounding factors of a glucose rush and the fact that longer term it may be unhelpful.)

alktipping, Mij, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

Oh my word! Lucozade! I remember that. D'you remember when it came with that weird coloured plastic wrapping on the bottle?

I loathed the stuff. I struggled to eat when I was very unwell as a child & my mother would make me drink this. Yuck!

14. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Do you take the paracetamol with a glass of water? How do you know whether it's the paracetamol or the additional dose of water which does the job?

When I get a ME headache I can take ibuprofen, paracetamol, and everything else available over the counter, or even the very strong stuff my wife brought home with her last time she had surgery which we shouldn't have lying about the house. None of it works. I obviously need to work on my placebo response.

Lidia, Michelle, oldtimer and 5 others like this.
  15. Mij

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/...cute_Effects_of_Fluid_Intake_on_Urine.18.aspx

A study from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research says that your body can alleviate mild dehydration in 45 minutes with 600ml of water.

Michelle and Invisible Woman like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Usually.

I can't know under those circumstances.

But I'm lucky - I get far fewer headaches these days since I had surgery for my hydrocephalus. And the ones I do get are rarely as bad as they used to be.

TiredSam likes this.
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So a study on whether or not water can be used to help deal with dehydration?

Did they consider it a serious risk that it wouldn't?

Will there be a follow up study to determine if hunger can be treated with food?

The wonders of scientific research when getting a positive result is more important than what that result means.

Michelle, oldtimer, TiredSam and 3 others like this.
  18. Mij

I didn't know that it took 45 minutes to get rehydrated. I thought it was a lot sooner.

oldtimer, Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  19. Invisible Woman

Yep me too.

I found I would start to feel a bit grim, lightheaded and headachy. I'd sit with my feet up and have a piece of fruit and a large glass of water.

I had always assumed starting to feel better fairly quickly was to do with the fruit and water. Since learning more about OI & POTs type issues I now realize feeling better in the short term was probably more to do with putting my feet
    up.

MeSci, Wonko and Mij like this.
  20. Mij

@Invisible Woman

I think this is why they recommend drinking water first thing in the morning, and remain lying down for 30 minutes before getting up for pw/POTS.

Invisible Woman likes this.