1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: Hilda Bastian, "A Classic Case of Science “He Said”, “She Said”: How Psychologists Trying to Prevent PTSD Got Controversial"

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Andy, Apr 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A familiar issue..
    https://blogs.plos.org/absolutely-m...sts-trying-to-prevent-ptsd-got-controversial/

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A familiar Wessely...

I have to admit to an instinctive bias against debriefing (which I can view as an interference in peoples' lives by professionals who often don't seem to really know what they're doing). I've always taken those Cochrane reviews at face value, probably partly because of that.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I initially took that to be a comment on Bastian's 'debriefing' of us on the 'debriefing' provided by Cochrane on the studies of debriefing of trauma victims. When reading the piece I started to wonder what hidden agendas Bastian herself might have. But the message is clear enough - another instance of received wisdom based on pretty uninterpretable data.

ladycatlover, inox, Daisybell and 2 others like this.