1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: Hilda Bastian, "5 Tips for Understanding Data in Meta-Analyses", 2017

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Andy, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://blogs.plos.org/absolutely-maybe/2017/07/03/5-tips-for-understanding-data-in-meta-analyses/

Barry, Trish, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Some studies are such whoppers that they overpower all other studies – no matter how many of them there are. I call them Hulks. Hulks might never be challenged, just because of their sheer size – no one will do another study like it again. Which is great when they provide a definitive answer. But not so great when they might not be representative."

Barry, MEMarge, Rick Sanchez and 8 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think we must assume that the author is familiar with all uses of the term "whopper".

Barry, MEMarge, Trish and 3 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed. And it reminds me of the ironic fact that the bigger the study the more likely systematic bias will generate a statistically significant result.

Sly Saint, TrixieStix, Barry and 9 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would think it must be incredibly easy to think you are comparing like with like when you may well not be. Or to convince yourself they are close enough.