1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: A totally useless therapy for benign and malign conditions – where is the difference? - Edzard Ernst

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, May 21, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

full blog here
    https://edzardernst.com/2020/05/a-t...nd-malign-conditions-where-is-the-difference/

(LP amongst others springs to mind)

Sarah94, Hutan, Webdog and 12 others like this.
  2. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now imagine a different scenario; imagine instead he had claimed that PoToNaPo is a talking therapy that by its very nature positively biases self reports of effectiveness.
    Let’s furthermore imagine that our charlatan is very successful with these claims.
    No, this is not far fetched! Think of … well … think of any BPS treatment really.
    Imagine the charlatan makes millions with PoToNaPo.
    What would happen? Well it would get incorporated into the NICE guidelines of course.

Sarah94, Hutan, pteropus and 17 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Without reading the blog, my first thought is that there would not be much opposition.

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And the relevant Cochrane guideline, and get a glowing endorsement by PsychoPropaganda-R-Us the Science Media Centre (UK branch).

Hutan, Mithriel, DokaGirl and 7 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Good blog, but doesn't go far enough. It's not just junk 'remedies' of this sort for ill defined 'wellness' treatments of the goop and homeopathy variety that are the problem. Its the much more serious stuff we are subjected to all the time that not only gets media approval but eminent medical approval too.

And am I the only one who kept reading PoToNaPo as potato?

pteropus, Starlight, Webdog and 12 others like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been told by some doctors that my self-treatment of various problems with vitamins and minerals is "alternative medicine" and therefore what I'm doing is nonsense designed to drain the contents of my wallet. This encompasses things like :

1) Wanting to keep my B12 level high because I found out it cures my almost life-long "teenage" spots.

2) Wanting to keep my B12 level high because it keeps my life-long eczema at bay.

3) Keeping my iron levels higher than "just inside the range" because it reduces my problem with tachycardia. It also allows me to walk upstairs rather than having to crawl one step at a time.

"Alternative" medicine is in the eye of the beholder.

No, I did too.

Sarah94, pteropus, DokaGirl and 6 others like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tip-toeing through the garden of silly treatments so as to not disturb the snakes that live there.

This is 'thought experiment lite'.

Considering the real damage done to society by health charlatans one might hope for something more.

EE certainly knows how to avoid making waves. Continued smooth sailing for abusive con-artists.

8. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)