1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Biotransformation profiles from a cohort of chronic fatigue women in response to a hepatic detoxification challenge, 2019, Erasmus et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, May 13, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Looks like a weird one.
    Paywall, https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0216298
    Sci Hub, http://sci-hub.se/https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0216298

Selection criteria
    As I understand it ME was one of the "other affect syndromes".

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've been trying to get my head around this. Here's what I've worked out so far:

Female patients reporting to a clinic with chronic fatigue who didn't have recognised chronic conditions like heart disease, diabetes and asthma, but may have had things like fibromyalgia or depression (or ME/CFS) were asked to fill in detailed fatigue questionnaires that distinguished mental and physical fatigue, and subgrouped into 5 groups according to how high their mental and physical fatigue. They also filled in a medical symptoms questionnaire.

They were then tested for lots of biochemicals in their urine and blood.

Then they were given biochemical challenges consisting of measured doses of caffeine, acetaminophen (tylenol/paracetamol) and acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin). This was to test how well the liver detoxified these substances and by what pathways, tested using saliva collected at measured intervals after the challenges.

The outcome is less clear to me because my biochemistry knowledge and reading concentration are not up to it. It seems they found some relationship between biological test results and low versus high fatigue. A couple of metabolites measured were significantly different between low and high fatigue groups.

There is a lot of discussion about genetic variations in detoxification pathways (or something) and the suggestion that a mix of exposure to toxins and high ATP use in some detox pathways may be related to fatigue and that therefore personalised medicine approaches may be needed to see what specific treatments might help individuals according to their genetic and metabolic profiles.

I hope someone with more biochemistry knowledge than me will take a look at this and tell us whether it looks useful.

If someone else does a better job than me deciphering this, I'll delete my post!

3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"chronic fatigue women" o_O

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I know :wtf:

5. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was hoping that someone would look at detox pathways. I wonder why no-one has ever wondered as to why ME patients cannot tolerate medications.

The following are interesting excerpts :

and

The CHAID algorithm is an interesting addition which they used to identify segments of patients.

Once again, i think we are getting close.

rvallee, Amw66 and ukxmrv like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure how to interpret this one either. The reduction of total acylcarnitine in the "high fatigue" group does relate to previous studies and there does appear to be evidence of reduced fatty acid metabolism in CFS patients in other studies, though whether this is due to different activity patterns remains to be seen...

There was some amusing language related to their p-values "not statistically informative, although biochemically relevant" and "(p= 0.06), which may be interpreted as being practically significant".

I thought we didn't write like that in 2019, but I guess I was wrong.

Hutan, adambeyoncelowe and Trish like this.