1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best chopping tool/food prep gadget?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Haveyoutriedyoga, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I could probably do with some of these ideas. I'm pretty similar with prepped veg and fussy about knife and chopping board with few gadgets I've got around to sorting. I'd never try anything like a mandolin as I live alone but maybe there are some good things.

My best useful things near to this are probably nothing new:

big sabatier scissors (25cm all-purpose ones) - I have 2 pairs (one for food one for non-food, I dishwasher them both all thetime) once I realised how not only did they not hurt/jar my hands but could get through almost anything with little power needed as the pivot is so good (and the point sharper than many of my knives to 'start' a cut), now I want a third pair (for when they are in the wash). I use these to cut loads of types of food with, particularly meat is so much easier to snip whatever off, or 'slice it' into a pan or bowl than it was using knives. Veg-wise I can easily do things like peppers, broccoli, mini carrots and then its down to trial and errors on other things (I've used them to snip bad bits of new potatoes before now but not sure how you'd get on with say a swede - though I've just tried the baking that whole and scooping out/peeling off skin way of doing that, whilst I had the oven anyway for something else). I've cut the dodgy ends off corn on the cob with them before (which is really hard with a knife). And of course easier to use whilst sat down wherever with bowl on your lap than a knife is.

ergonomic masher https://www.dunelm.com/product/oxo-softworks-smooth-potato-masher-1000100912 rarely use but so much easier all my extended family now have one (most have hand issues of some sort e.g. arthritis) - it seems to use your body weight or something better over the handle and it is like a 'punching' position with a much better shaped bottom so it just seems to smush things v easily vs I found the normal ones are all wrist and hand twisting and needs a lot of effort I could never do.

microwave steamer tray - just put a spoon of water in the bottom and do your veg (let's be honest most will go in damp anyway after rinsing them): https://sistemaplastics.com/products/microwave/medium-steamer
    on a similar note colleagues at work used to use a microwave egg-poacher and rice makers (similar plastic thing for microwave), though I just microwave scrambled eggs (stick in bowl and beat once it firms up around 2mins and put back in for a little longer), peas etc in a bowl +kitchen roll, and bacon (similar tray to the microwave steamer)

and a glass oven dish that comes with tupperware lid, so you cook, cool (I put it on my metal draining board to help), store however by just putting lid on. It might go into freezer bags later but I mightn't have the energy right away.

In reality (ie not a good day I'm not out of bed much) I'd be stuffed if it wasn't for having an oven timer that turns the oven off, so I'm not afraid of falling asleep for anyting taking more than 20mins or if it goes off and I can't get there it stays warm for a bit (deteriorates a bit,but better than nothing). I also discovered that potato waffles can actually be done in the toaster for when desperate time-wise.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Sid, Haveyoutriedyoga, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  2. bobbler

A (healthy) friend got bought one like this a year or two back and demo'd it to me. I was amazed and it was delicious given what she'd thrown in there. You have to somewhat chunk the veg (like half the onion and peel it) but the wonder was the smooth soup in 20mins or whatever - certainly for healthy, busy people I'd imagine that would be a shower but still it seemed much quicker than doing yourself. And condenses vitamins I'd guess.

3. bobbler

Similar with the batch cook, one pot, but since I discovered soffrito (frozen or fresh options) it has been a godsend for the onion, carrot celery base ready-done. Garlic puree in a tube. Peeling that is the magic-fix seeking area I haven't worked out a workaround for yet.

Haveyoutriedyoga likes this.
  4. bobbler

I used to get the microwave bags of new potatoes from tesco (herb ones for me, but they also do garlic if you prefer), when they were on 3 for 2 offer. I think they are slightly pre-cooked, and so are about 8mins max in the microwave. I mention tesco as tried other more expensive ones that were not nice enough for me. Not tried them in my steamer to do myself yet weirdly so going to give that a go to see if I can do my own version. I currently boil a whole bag when I do them and have some cooked in the fridge to either eat cold or microwave - but that can result in wastage. Strangely when I do that with roast potatoes (which also microwave beautifully) I always manage to eat them all in time, but can't do that as much so that's half the thrill I guess.

grated potato and veg with salt and butter in a dish in the microwave (about 7mins) works to produce something edible, I'd guess reduces oven cooking time too? - tho only useful if you've a gadget that 'does the grating'

Oh and when I was a kid we tested whether re-using microchip cartons (just with oven chips then close the lid down as much as they stay worked) and they did still cook in the 3mins or whatever. I don't know whether there is now some magic gadget version or you'd basically have to do the same to repeat that effect - surprising if it hasn't been done (it's a miracle getting chips done in 3mins instead of 30)

Haveyoutriedyoga likes this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I agree scissors are great, I don't know that brand, but good quality heavy duty scissors that come apart for cleaning are brilliant in the kitchen.

I love the Clickclack glass storage containers with silicone lids. They can be heated in an oven; they can be heated in a microwave (and have a vent in the lid so there is no splatter). They are ok in the freezer. So, leftovers or meal portions can be put in the container and frozen, then later thawed in the fridge and then heated in the microwave. I've even then eaten the meal direct from the container. Being glass, it's easy to see what is in them and they stack well in the fridge.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.33.47 am.png

6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1) immersion blender is great! you could make smoothies/protein shakes and soups in seconds and it cleans very well. if you are making soups, make sure you buy a stainless steel one because the plastic end would melt. You can clean it by putting it in a cup with some soap and water and running it, then rinse.

2) Blender for bigger jobs- wash by filling the cavity halfway with water and few drops of soap- and run it cleans it without putting your hands in there or dismantling the whole thing.

3) Meat thermometer with alarm- the probe kind- so you can lay down while you wait for it to cook. (20$ max) and an alarm for when you got things on the stove

4) A few good (and sharp) knives for the job helps a lot.

5) a good kitchen stool

best wishes.

7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I worked out ways to make cooking easy when I was moderate with kids at home and cooking for 8 of us at times!

I have used a series of halogen ovens over the years. They are a wonderful cooking system. Air fryers seem to be a new thing that is similar but I tried one and did not find it as useful. I bought it originally because I could not behind to reach the big oven and because it switched itself off but it is so easy to use everyone in my family has ended up with them. being able to see your food is useful too.

The secret is to buy round cake tins to sit the grill on so it collects all the juices and fats. I have cooked a medium sized turkey, chickens, roast potatoes and anything that needs heated up. Root vegetables, peppers, courgettes cook in about 15 minutes with just a bit oil and salt with things like asparagus or sugar snap peas, fine beans and things taking about 10 minutes.

When the shopping comes in I put sausages or mince straight into the oven so I don't notice the cooking of them. If there is uncooked food in the fridge I know I will never cook it so I like to cook things and freeze them. The mince I freeze plain so I can add whatever flavouring I want.

I was told to always use the largest muscle available to you to make things easier so I discovered that peeling potatoes away from yourself from the shoulder made it possible for me again.

Another gadget I use a few times a week is a kettle type soup maker. I buy a head of broccoli, chop it into small parts including the stalk, put it into the machine with stock and 20 minutes later I have 3 portions of lovely soup! Works great with everything except leeks so I fry them first when I am able and throw them in with boiling water to thaw them.

Then there is my panasonic bread maker, a luxury item but much better than other brands. It only takes a few minutes to weigh out ingredients or throw in a bread mix overnight and you have a lovely warm loaf in the morning. It means I always have a way of getting bread even if there is no one to do the shopping. Making fancy breads is fun when I have the energy and there are tips and recipes online for getting the best from your machine.

Fifty odd years with ME you learn a bit so nowadays I get surprised that my way of cooking isn't normal :) (And despite everything my cooking is much admired, smug, something to be proud of despite ME taking so much away)

Wits_End, Sean, TigerLilea and 3 others like this.
  8. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wanted to report back on my air fryer adventure.

I am glad I got it. I am much more likely to split up some brocolli and chuck some other scraps in there for a quick hot meal, which I wouldn't do if I had to wait for the oven to heat and then wait longer for the cooking process. I think something about that faster process with one less step (the preheat) that feels like much less of a mountain for a tired foggy heavy brain.

Starlight, Mij, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love my air fryer. My oven is mammoth in size and takes an hour to heat up to temperature. Why they make ovens big enough to roast Big Bird is beyond me. I can't see anyone needing an oven that large. The air fryer takes 5 minutes to come to temp and takes half the time to cook.

Starlight, Mij, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  10. Mfairma

Mfairma Established Member (Voting Rights)

Cuisinart and Kitchenaid both now offer food processors that have dicing attachments that process vegetables into 10 and 8mm cubes, respectively. I haven’t bought one yet, but I’m considering it as declining wellness alters what meals I make and how I prepare them.

For small batch meals, I’m sure a knife is still less energy intensive, but for larger meals, I could see a dicing processor saving a lot of time, especially for those with lousy knife skills (like me!).

Starlight, bobbler and Trish like this.
  11. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've now bought this, since I think I'll have some support with planning shopping and organising things so may actually be able to use fresh food.

Kenwood Multipro Compact Food Processor, 1.2L Bowl, 1.2L Thermo-resist Glass Blender, Dough Hook, Whisk, Reversible Slicing and Grating Discs, Spice Mill, 800 W, FDM302SS, Silver https://amzn.eu/d/fbRnbDF

Some bad reviews which upon looking into it seem to be by people who don't follow the instructions re running time and assembly.

It slices, grates and chops very well (you can buy one with more chopping attachments for consistent cubes). Also blends, but I have a nutribullet which I don't think can be topped, and has a smaller blender/grinder which will be good for coffee, maybe for garlic and other smaller volume items but haven't tried that part yet.

Starlight, Amw66, MrMagoo and 5 others like this.
  12. bobbler

I got this a while back: Vegetable Chopper with Easy-Pour Opening | OXO UK

I went with oxo because I was impressed with their masher actually making life easier

There are lots of more exciting ones where you can switch different sizes of 'chop' in and out, but having had a food processor when I was more well that was used for the odd cheesecake and pate before being given away I knew that such blades for me just increased the faff, and meant it wasn't stored 'at the ready' (because all the different blads would need their places).

And if it isn't either on the side or in one of the nearby cupboard/drawers I'll forget about it

Anyway, this is in one piece and you just plonk in whatever (I'll be honest it is best for salad type things, rather than carrots - I haven't tried it for those) like peppers or cucumber, in a big 'slab' and then bosh it down. I thought it meant I'd make a few more salad or bean salad or pasta salad type things, as it just cubes it - think onion dice type thing. SO everything is the same size square, because that's what this is.

But if you are e.g. making an indian type raita thing or little salad then it is quite an energy and time difference to just slap the few items through that then chuck it open in the dishwasher vs trying to chop each of them when you are 'energy-poor'.

And I guess if you want to get into the habit of just trying to 'spike' your normal food with a bit more veg eg chucking pepper on pizza or throwing such items (courgette is quite good) into a mince and are prepared to put it out on the side near to where you'll see it..

Starlight, Trish and shak8 like this.
  13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When my kids were small they helped in kitchen .
    There's a bit of an age gap between youngest and oldest so we used a " nicer dicer" which were popular at the time and still around.
    For hard veg ( sweet potatoes , starchy veg) we simply popped in microwave for a couple of minutes to soften slightly .

https://amzn.eu/d/cl2SfEc

My stepmum used something similar to overcome arthritic hands - until it got too hard .

If I'm making a lot of soups etc I use a food processor to whirr up the base veg . I've not tried freezing raw base sofrito , but I can't see why it wouldn't work .

For small quantities a sharp knife is irreplaceable.
    I spent yesterday on the monthly " soupathon" for my mother in law which sets her up for most of the month with home made soup and the key thing I took along were knife sharpeners as her knifes were dangerously blunt. She couldn't have used them without struggling.

Next month I've suggested that I prep hard veg and put it in small portion freezer bags for her to simply microwave or add to slow cooker .( The soup is a way around getting veg into her diet )

I usually make a couple of base sauces at weekend ( tomato and a base curry ) and these get used during week to make up meals , adding spices to mix it up a bit. I make the sauces in an instant pot .

Also use marinades - code for chucking things in a large jar and shaking - store in fridge and use .

I had an air fryer - it was a Tefal and also steamed food. Whilst I was away for a family funeral , it had an " accident" . I replaced it with a ninja multi cooker , which is an air fryer , also steams, steam roasts , pressure cooker and dehydrator . I use it a lot. It is big- so it takes up precious worktop space , heavy and noisy .

Between the instant pot and ninja I hardly use the oven ( unless catering for a crowd where quantity comes into play )

shak8, bobbler, Starlight and 3 others like this.
  14. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a scary knife accident fairly recently which made me realise I was going to have to change the way I do things even if it compromises on freshness/taste (survival first). Since then, I started buying peeled/chopped frozen vegetables. Mostly frozen but there's also fresh stuff like squash you can buy that's already peeled and cut into chunks. Not only have I saved time but I've also reduced my food waste to almost zero.

shak8, bobbler, Starlight and 5 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I also have significantly reduced veg peeling and chopping by using frozen veg and some supermarket ready peeled and chopped fresh veg. I try to use some fresh green veg that is easy to prepare like broccoli which is much nicer fresh.

I would probably go all frozen veg if it were just for myself, but my daughter is less tolerant of the sogginess of some frozen veg and simply leaves it on her plate. She's an adult, so I'm not going to go all parenty and tell her to eat up her veg, but I do want her diet to have some semblance of healthiness. We eat too many ready meals as it is.

shak8, bobbler, Starlight and 3 others like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Been having more than the usual gastro trouble for a few months. Long story short, I now have Barrett's esophagus to add to my fascinating collection of medical labels, and a regular gastroscopy to add to my calendar.

So I recently bought a hand blender, and started pureeing whatever I could, which is most stuff I eat. Helps a lot.

Also a big fan of frozen veggies. Big labor saving benefits.

shak8, bobbler, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  17. Sid

Stick blender was a literal lifesaver for me when I couldn’t swallow anything. I literally used that thing to purée all my food. Without it I’d be dead now.

Sean, shak8, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Wot Sid said

Sean, shak8, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  19. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a house on a quarter acre block to maintain by myself and I loathe dealing with food so it's a no-brainer to go frozen for me.

I do make the effort to cut sweet potato even although it hurts my arthritic hands a lot- sweet potato mash is to die for - and I use potatoes from my garden because they just keep growing. I've been looking at chopping gadgets for these after reading this thread.

Otherwise, I close my eyes when I buy pre-washed greens so I don't see the price, and make up for it with general frozen veg. Overall frozen is cheaper - in Aus at least.

Not long ago I discovered the large range of frozen fruit too so I can eat pineapple again that doesn't come in a tin.

Luckily, herbs and spring onions grow constantly in my garden and it's nothing to do with me!

Sean, Amw66, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  20. Sid

Same. I can't believe how long it took me to discover these time- and effort-saving hacks.

bobbler, oldtimer and Trish like this.