1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Became Sick From Detox-I think..Please Help Me Assess.

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by LucyLouWho, Jul 13, 2018.

1. LucyLouWho

LucyLouWho Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not even menstruating anymore. I think having my thyroid out whacked out everything...all minerals, etc.

2. zzz

zzz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am blissfully unaware of his existence, so I am addressing your concerns without regard to who he is.
    Getting enough magnesium in a well-absorbed form that is easily tolerated can be quite a challenge. Almost all topical magnesium products are made with magnesium chloride, and it is the chloride that causes the burning sensation. (Think hydrochloric acid.) Fortunately, magnesium sulfate is available in a cream, specifically Kirkman Magnesium Sulfate Cream. I have been using this for a couple of years, and I experience no burning whatsoever from it. Its active ingredient is the same as in Epsom salts, which also don't burn, at least when applied externally.

Epsom salt baths are also an excellent way of getting substantial amounts of magnesium into the body. I noticed that you mentioned that you take them; either taking them more frequently or gradually increasing the amount of Epsom salts per bath, or both, may give you greater benefit from this method. A simple way of knowing when you've overdone it with magnesium is if you become excessively tired or hung over after the treatments. Feeling nicely relaxed is fine.
    Methyl B12 is widely used because it delivers B12 to your body directly in the form that your body needs it. But for people with issues with overmethylation, hydroxy B12 is a much safer form of B12 to consume, and you can still get all the active B12 that you need.
    Hydroxy B12 from 3 years ago should be fine. Drug and supplement companies tend to be very conservative about expiration dates. Even though most drugs last well beyond their expiration date, there is no motivation for the manufacturer to test this and verify this. And if people throw out drugs long before they need to and replace them with new drugs, this is to the financial benefit of the manufacturer. The NPR article That Drug Expiration Date May Be More Myth Than Fact contains an excellent summary of the many tests that have been done showing that drugs often last many years past their expiration date - very frequently a decade or more, and sometimes many decades. The one exception you have to be especially careful about is doxycycline - it turns toxic after its expiration date. To a lesser extent, this is true of other tetracycline antibiotics as well.
    This is very true, especially the part about everyone being different and having different needs. I was someone for whom methyl B12 turned my illness around quite dramatically 16 years ago; I didn't even try folate supplementation until a number of years later. When I did, I found a rather modest positive side effect, though qualitatively different from what I experienced with B12. One of the most frustrating aspects about this illness is that there is no "one size fits all" for any treatment, and people often have to experiment a lot to see what works best for them.

3. LucyLouWho

@zzz -you are the best. I did not forget, but I read this the other day. Thank you so much. Since stopping the methyl B12, almost all of the pain is GONE. I am still stiff body wise but my feet totally stopped hurting. So thankful so I will start the hydroxy B12, the one I have.

I do remember you telling me about the expiration of meds back in 2015, but you reminded me!

Thank you so much and thank you for the magnesium suggestion. I have been drowning in epsom salt baths with no problem. I have no side effects but feeling rested from them. I will try the kirkman thought because I am always low in magnesium even with taking glycinate pills of mag.

THANK YOU!!! :thumbup::hug:

:emoji_fish::emoji_blowfish::emoji_crocodile::emoji_fox::emoji_fox: -oh, these emoticons are silly and fun. Had to do them. :emoji_butterfly::emoji_camel::emoji_camel::emoji_baby_chick:

Amw66, Skycloud, zzz and 2 others like this.
  4. LucyLouWho

@zzz -do you know of hydroxy B12 with adenosyl is okay? All of them come with hydroxy and adenosyl.

5. zzz

zzz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At one point, I tried adding adenosyl cobalamin to my methyl B12 regimen, and I found the result to be too stimulating. This was most likely related to the total B12 dose I was taking, but with your sensitivities, staying away from unnecessary ingredients seems like a good idea to me. The three versions of hydroxy B12 that I listed in my earlier post are all just hydroxy B12; none of them contain any adenosyl B12, or any other forms of B12.

LucyLouWho likes this.
  6. LucyLouWho

Binkie4, Amw66 and zzz like this.
  7. LucyLouWho

hydroxy B12, it seems has made my pain come back. I don't know what is going on, but I am stopping it for now. My doctor put me on a small dose of methotrexate because I can't move and I am not sleeping. I don't know why this is happening. My rheumatologist said that B12 is good for nerves. But it can also cause detox. I am in pain...everywhere.