1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC: Chronic fatigue trial results 'not robust', new study says

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Skycloud, Mar 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nothing in the Guardian?

Moosie, Hutan, TiredSam and 9 others like this.
  2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, but I'm gay, and I think both Denzel and Idris are very sexy.

Moosie, Missense, Arnie Pye and 26 others like this.
  3. Revel

Revel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Upvoting Idris . . . :inlove:

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The SMC commentator says:

However, it is worth noting the PACE trial was planned at a time when trial registration was in its infancy and the problems with selective reporting were less well known.

This is not right. When I designed a large phase 2 study in 2000 the issue of a predefined primary endpoint was taken as fundamental. Moreover, people were aware of the problem of shifting endpoints way back. For MRC statisticians not to have been aware of the problem is straightforward incompetence.

The authors have made little attempt to uncover the reasons for protocol deviations in the PACE trial or the point at which they were made; trialists could have been invited to comment.

The irony of this will not be lost on anyone here.

The latest such Cochrane review (of exercise therapies, from 2017) includes eight studies other than PACE, and does come to positive conclusions about some aspects of effectiveness of exercise therapies.

Er, yes, but which aspects were those? And was the review methodology any good? How do you do a review of controlled trials when none of them are adequately controlled?

I wonder if this statistician for the Cochrane collaboration would consider themselves sufficiently independent to make themselves known and bid for the £500 offered to a charity of their choice in response to a plausible account of why PACE is 'good science'.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

so is Tom Selleck

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Denzel all the way

7. large donner

large donner Guest

8. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please don't let him be in the biscuit tin.

Missense, Arnie Pye, MEMarge and 14 others like this.
  9. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Idris is way better. And British, not African-American. I still think he should be Bond . ..

Moosie, Missense, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  10. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arnie Pye, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 8 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I fear he might be lurking in with the rest of the Jammie Dodgers.

Missense, Arnie Pye, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

so..... to those who liked my post @Hutan @ladycatlover @Luther Blissett @Invisible Woman @Jan @Trish @dangermouse @adambeyoncelowe ..... does that mean you think i should start a thread? I dont like to start one entitled "S4ME thanks..." as i dont really feel it's my place to speak for the forum group? i dunno i feel a bit uncomfortable doing that unless asked to or given the go ahead by someone on the committee. But i think thats what the title should be.... ? can people comment pls. I'm keen for those of us who want to thank her/Tom Whipple but arent on twitter ourselves to have a way to do it because it think it's really important that they see how very appreciative we are, & i do think if someone could tweet her the link she'd probably follow a link with that title.

13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like the idea @JemPD. I think it should be decided on by the committee though.

There is a danger if you invite journalist interest into a thread and someone decides to be disruptive or take their anger out inappropriately it could backfire badly. I think the committee should take a view on how they would like to handle that.

14. adreno

adreno Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He does our job for us by tweeting the link. What will have the most impact; the article or his unintelligent commentary?

If there is data out there that invalidates your hypothesis, you'd better not call attention to it. That's 101.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  15. JemPD

Yes this was one of my concerns.
    @Trish .....I'd like to draw this post & idea to the attention of the committee for consideration (hence my including the quotes from the start of the specific discussion) but i dont like to tag them all here as i'm aware everyone is both very busy & has their own health to consider. I'm not sure what to do next. Could you advise me pls?

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I will take it to the committee for discussion.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  17. JemPD

Thanks @Trish :) I trust the group's wisdom on this completely

MEMarge, ladycatlover, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  18. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We'd be doing something outlandish, like believing that killing Socrates was the wrong thing to do?

You can't just go around questioning authority you know. It corrupts the morals of society. Shame on us.

Jan, Solstice, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  19. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm fairly sure that I have never killed anyone, called Socrates, I certainly never intended to, and if I had done I might be really quite disappointed with myself, for not being courteous enough to remember.

Then again, I might not, there must be hundreds of people out there I haven't killed, and to be honest I'm really not bothered about it, so why would it be any different in the case of someone called Socrates.

Arnie Pye, MEMarge, Jan and 7 others like this.
  20. Revel

Revel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Man, this thread has gone off track way too many times, I can't keep up. To be clear, we are talking Greek philosopher here, not confessing to some involvement in the untimely demise of the brilliant Brazilian football player? :confused:

MEMarge, Jan, Indigophoton and 3 others like this.