1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC: Chronic fatigue trial results 'not robust', new study says

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Skycloud, Mar 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reading this made me happy. I'm so glad we have you in our corner Carolyn :) you've all done a superb job with this study

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Is this because the Press Association content used in the Daily Mail is syndicated to these websites/local papers if so this is a great development and we should thank the journalist

3. JemPD

Just an idea.... perhaps we could start a thread for the AP journalist entitled something like "S4ME thanks Jennifer Cockrell for her article" and then we could all put our thanks and comments there & then someone could tweet her a link to it? It would be great if she would come here, especially if it was also pointed out that she could read comments all over the forum from David tuller, Carolyn Wilshire, Jonathan Edwards etc.

For that matter mightn't it be an idea to do a thread for Tom Whipple too? (the times journalist) In fact for everyone that does a decent article.

What does everyone think?

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. April

April Established Member (Voting Rights)

Nothing in the Guardian?

6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

They have been very supportive of White and QMUL in the past so just keeping quite is good.

Moosie, MEMarge, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since they usually do more harm than good with their magical thinking, chakra aligning, meditating and pity poor Esther Craweyling I count that as a win.

Moosie, Arnie Pye, MEMarge and 17 others like this.
  9. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow this coverage make me so happy :) A billion thanks to the authors for their thorough work and analysis. Finally our "side" can be heard in the public too

10. JemPD

lets not get excitied about nothing in the guardian..... there are the weekend supplements to come out yet. If we get away without some egregious BS from someone (guardian, telegraph,indepenent) it really will be a win.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have this vision of a sitcom based on PACE with star parts played by somebody like Leonard Rossiter and Penelope Keith. Each episode would include a breakfast scene of almost complete silence, broken by Rossiter saying 'Nothing in the Guardian?' to which Keith would respond with a don't be silly 'no dear'.

And so it goes on.

Moosie, MEMarge, 2kidswithME and 19 others like this.
  12. JemPD

haha that would be fabulous :D You could have Crawley played by Jennifer Saunders, & have Tom Selleck sweeping in from America as Dave Tuller whom she'd call "that pain in the arse American".

ooo and Nigel Hawthorne could be in it as well :)

ETA no no it wouldnt be 'pain in the arse american', it would be "that frightful American!" (- that may not translate outside Britain)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  13. large donner

large donner Guest

Please God no, I like Jennifer Saunders. Crawley would have to play her own role as she is the only person who could be as convincingly stupid as herself.

14. JemPD

I like her too @large donner very much, but in my mind this would be satire, & i think she'd do a great job of satirising EC :D

MEMarge, Jan, Invisible Woman and 8 others like this.
  15. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why is it, as soon as Penelope Keith gets a mention, I think it sounds amazing.
    Still smiling at the thought.

16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For some reason I get this image of a repeating gag each week, where someone opens a cupboard and SW's head pops out ... so they promptly shove it back in again and close the cupboard.

Edit: And each week it would be a different cupboard. Kitchen cupboard, bathroom cabinet, larder, etc.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    MEMarge, Binkie4, Jan and 9 others like this.
  17. JamBob

JamBob Established Member (Voting Rights)

She's a national treasure :trophy@.

A few years ago I found myself sitting one table away from Penelope Keith while enjoying a cream tea and scone at a National Trust restaurant. I think I never felt so British as I did on that day.:)

18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just thought I'd point out that this was not from the PACE authors, or at least, it doesn't say it was.

The identity of the author is far from clear, but it says:

"Any specific expertise relevant to studied paper (beyond statistical)?

Experience in the design and analysis of randomised clinical trials. Statistician for Cochrane Collaboration."

Thanks for the comments.

19. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm going for either Denzel Washington or Idris Elba to play me.

Moosie, Missense, Arnie Pye and 19 others like this.
  20. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you African-American? Not that it matters. You represented us who may or may not be, but are surely not fukuda...

MEMarge and 2kidswithME like this.