1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC: Chronic fatigue syndrome treatment 'should be withdrawn'

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, May 8, 2018.

1. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well to be exact it was Charles Shepherd who was called a "leading expert" at the beginning of the article. Our dodgy friends who were given the last word at the end of the article were called "some of the country's leading ME researchers and clinicians".

However, did the BBC not notice that 4 of the 5 "leading ME researchers and clinicians" had psychotherapy, psychaitry, psychology, or psychological in their titles? The fifth being the Bristol childcatcher. Did it not occur to the journalist to ask what an expert who treats adults with medicine thinks, just for the sake of balance? To accept that this motley crew of BPS cult propagandists are the "leading ME researchers and clinicians" on ME is bizarre - it's like writing an article on emissions pollution and giving the last word to the "leading researchers" from Volkswagen. It would have been better if the journalist had dug a little deeper and perhaps called this bunch of PACE supporters "some of the country's politically dominant ME researchers and clinicians responsible for this scandal".

Woolie, Webdog, Moosie and 23 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10 minutes on Google (or better still me-pedia) would have sufficed; I was sending the BBC (named recipients) the same info as other media channels until my emails started being rejected.

But in a strange way it is good to see the public confirmation that Simon Wessely is still very much behind it all............ as I have said before, the journalists need to start joining the dots.

Woolie, Anna, Moosie and 16 others like this.
  3. TiredSam

Indeed. It didn't even take an FOI to get that letter. So far Sir Simon has been using journalists who just can't be bothered thinking about what they are doing to his advantage, so he must be very disappointed that it didn't quite work out that way for him this time :).

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

also good to see that he feels he has to get behind it rather than taking a back seat

5. Sly Saint

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I see they have been downgraded to merely 'some' of the country's leading ME researchers and clinicians.

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. :cool:

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps instead of " some of the country's leading ME researchers and clinicians"

that should read "some of the country's most militant ME researchers and clinicians"

Alvin, Woolie, Anna and 12 others like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't Paul McCrone a health economist, or something like that?

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Professor of Health Economics at Kings (home of Wessely and Chalder), and lead author on the PACE cost effectiveness paper published in PLOS one that currently has an expression of concern attached to it:
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0040808

10. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or differently said - as two people working in the psychology field once said: We can't release our raw data because people will see we're cheating and manipulating.

Dolphin, Woolie, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

They've added this to the bottom of the article now.

Barry, Woolie, Moosie and 11 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Cabal? What Cabal?......ha, talk about nailing your colours to the mast of good old ship PACE

Sean, Moosie, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What do we presume the procedure would be? BBC contacts SMC. Does SMC then contact the duty psychiatrist and ask for a stock a see, or do they have the stock response on file?

So who wrote this? Which of them cannot distinguish between infer and imply? Do they then go to the trouble of informing the others and sending a copy of the response for approval, or do they just append the names? I find it hard to believe that they have taken the trouble to appraise all of them of the facts, and get approval of the response.

But perhaps they do.

14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

This article isn’t fantastic but at least we won the message headline and the first paragraphs. Many people will only have seen the headline. It’s been shown in web user testing that people skim very quickly spending most time on the first sentence and paragraph and often skip over information lower down the article.

Given they’ve now listed the usual suspects there’s now a case that next time there’s an article we need to be getting “our scientists” quoted for balance.

Sly Saint, Anna, Moosie and 10 others like this.
  15. TiredSam

Yes, but the full title he gave himself when signing the letter to the BBC included "Institute of Psychiatry Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN)". What's a health economist anyway? Real economists have a poor enough track record in trying to sort out the economy, so why allow one anywhere near health?

16. TiredSam

Quite. Instead of rounding up five of the usual suspects for a dodgy quote, they could have asked 42 real leading ME researchers and clinicians what they think. Too much work for a BBC journalist? Don't worry, someone's already done the work for them:

http://www.virology.ws/2016/02/10/open-letter-lancet-again/

Barry, Woolie, NelliePledge and 13 others like this.