1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bateman Horne Center Online Education Series, 2018

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Trish, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    RoseE, panckage, Sly Saint and 10 others like this.
  2. Trish

I haven't had time to watch these yet. Dr Bateman is doing a lot to help get ME doctors in the USA working together to educate each other, other doctors, and patients.

rvallee, diwa, Lisa108 and 4 others like this.
  3. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting this list of links along with the length of each video, @Trish

Very helpful! :)

Trish likes this.
  4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't like how Bateman combines ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia. These conditions should be talked about in separate videos.

This is the primary reason I haven't recommended this video series to others.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  5. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for letting me know, I had not seen that.

I was just going to skip to video 6 on Orthostatic Intolerance.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I feel the same way. ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia are not the same.

ahimsa likes this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have watched a few of them and found them quite heavy going (I'm not sure exactly who the target audience are) and there was a lot of emphasis on Fibromyalgia which got confusing at times.

Also in the bit on ME/CFS diagnostic criteria she didn't (as far as I can recall) mention the ICC which I thought was odd.

Trish likes this.
  8. Trish

I have only just got around to watching the first of the videos. I disagree that talking about FM and ME/CFS on the same videos is a problem. I found this first video helpful in clarifying the differences between the diagnostic criteria for the two conditions, and in clarifying the different approaches to treatment.

She makes it very clear that FM can be helped by meds that tackle the pain and by low impact exercise, but that ME/CFS is much harder to treat.

I thought the clear distinction she made between low impact exercise being helpful in FM but making symptoms worse in ME/CFS was important for doctors and patients to understand.

She makes it clear that they are two different conditions, but that some people have both, and that people can be misdiagnosed between the two and end up with the wrong treatment and management strategies. For doctors diagnosing, it's vital that they don't put people in the wrong category which will lead to wrong treatment.

RoseE, andypants, diwa and 3 others like this.