1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

B12/Folic Acid and D3/K2 Supplementation

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Little Bluestem, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there is an ongoing issue with low B12 surely there is an argument for maintenance dosages to keep levels within normal limits.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes of course, but what has that to do with the discussion?
    If levels are low and there are recognised clinical features of low B12 supplementation is needed.
    But the original post mentioned normal levels.

FMMM1 and Diluted-biscuit like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was perhaps being pernickety, but I interpreted your statement as intending a general principle that B12 should never be supplemented if current levels are within normal levels, whereas there is the exception if you have good reason to anticipate supplementation is necessary to prevent the individual going into deficit then supplementation is appropriate though current levels are within a normal range.

MEMarge likes this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, it means what it says. Lots of teenagers get spots/zits/acne when they reach puberty. For most people the problem wears off by the time they are about 18 - 20. Mine did slightly improve but they never went away completely. It's embarrassing to have teenage spots at 30 or 40 or 50.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The big metabolic studies would have picked up B12 deficiency so it seems that none of the participants had it. Also, B12 deficiency results in pernicious anemia so, if deficiency was relevant, there would be a lot of people presenting with anemia - they're not.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  6. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd be interested to know why B12 was prescribed. The reference test was Methyl Malonic Acid, which increases when you're deficient in B12, but even the standard B12 tests should be OK.

bobbler, Mij and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Discussion moved from the long covid in the media thread

A male relative of ours, in his mid 30s, tested positive for Covid 19 Sat 19 March. Fully vaccinated, all three. Was very poorly for nearly a week, dreadful cough and feeling dreadful. After clearing the virus, then pretty exhausted. The similarities to my wife's ME/CFS pretty marked. At this point now, he is significantly better, with cough progressively improving. Still runs out of energy very quickly, which is no big surprise.

Had a chest x-ray, results not back yet.

Blood test apparently shows a very low level of folic acid - I don't know the actual reading. Is this likely to be a consequence of the covid? Or is it more likely coincidental, something that may have been brewing anyway? Or are there any known links with low folic acid and covid?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2023
  8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1887065/

Low folate status and immune function
    Has vit D been checked too?

MEMarge, alktipping and Barry like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

His doctor is pretty good I think, so I imagine it would have been included, but I can check.

MEMarge likes this.
  10. Amw66

Here vit D is part of a bone profile ( ricketts strikes again) , so it may not be as obvious as it may seem.

11. Amw66

There is also a form of anemia linked to inflammation - common in chronic illness but also post infection .
    How are iron levels ?
    See thread
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1466491046875918336

alktipping likes this.
  12. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Folate is found in foods that a lot of people don't eat enough of, such has fruit/vegetables/whole grains/legumes. In observational studies males typically eat less of these foods than females, and it's easy to not get enough through diet alone. At the same time a folate deficiency can be masked by adequate/high B12 which is found in meat and dairy, which especially men tend to get enough of, and thus can go unnoticed. Folate is also water soluble and not stored particularly well in the body so if he was low (doesn't have to have been deficient) before becoming ill and has changed his diet due to being ill that can also contribute. And as already mentioned, being ill can increase the body's need for some nutrients.

MEMarge, FMMM1 and Trish like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If he had been ill and not eating much that might be relevant to a low folate level but I doubt it has anything to do with the Covid, or vice versa. We have just had our second Covid after three jabs and it is pretty draining - now nearly three weeks in.

I don't think all the stuff about anaemia and vitamins and chronic infection are relevant to an acute viral infection of this sort.

14. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merged thread
    Cyanocobalin 1000mcg without nasty stuff?

My doctor wants me to be on this but can anyone recommend one I can buy in the UK that doesn't have maltodextrin etc.?

A liquid would be ideal.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2022
    Trish likes this.
  15. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trish and bobbler like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2022
  17. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Arnie Pye

No I hadn't. I don't actually suffer from B12 Deficiency or Pernicious Anaemia myself so I forgot to see what else was on the forum on the subject. I just thought it might be of interest to somebody.

19. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The paper also includes iron deficiencies.

20. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not appear to suffer from a B12 deficiency, at least taking more does not improve things, and I would appear to have too much iron (inferred from my ferritin level). It is something I considered a 'while' back.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.