1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Autonomic Nervous System Functioning Related to Nocturnal Sleep in Patients With CFS Compared to Tired Controls., 2017, Orjatsalo et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29246267

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is interesting, but I wonder if it is just an artefact of being a pilot study with recruitment biases, or whether it is a non-specific marker of fatigue.

Hutan, MEMarge, Joel and 2 others like this.
  3. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is interesting, although I belive that there are many things that go on while we are asleep in addition to cardiology and brain waves etc (endocrine system for one). Hopefully they can do a deeper dive on a much larger study. Can't really tell very much from such a small study (8 people).

One thing I've noticed on a much smaller study of my own is that the impact of sleep varies quite considerably depending upon how much deep sleep stage I get. There appears to be a correlation between how wired I feel before falling asleep and quality. The wired feeling varies a lot for me and this appears to relate back to when I exceed my exertion limits.

It would be good to measure sleep quality over a long period of time (8-12 weeks) to see how this varies rather than assume this is a constant and look at symptom intensity alongside in any future study. This may lead to understanding why so many of us have good days and bad days.

4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I noticed that too

adambeyoncelowe, Joel, Hoopoe and 3 others like this.
  5. Joel

Joel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting area to look at, I'd like to see more research but it needs to be much larger, deeper. It'll be expensive.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, the question is whether it predicts or lags. I think this sleep finding may be associated with the 'wired' feeling you mention though.

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This study formed part of Markku Partinen, one of the authors, presentation at the Invest in ME conference this year.