1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

As mindfulness app Headspace booms, its popularity outpaces its scientific evidence

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Aug 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/07/headspace-mindfulness-covid19-employers/

2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What was the saying? Oh Yeah, Don't Worry, Be Happy. Prozac will make it all better.

So, here we are decades later.

This too shall pass.

TiredSam, chrisb, Andy and 3 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While I don't have an issue with Headspace - I've used the app - or meditation, or companies getting discounted membership for their staff, the idea of meditation being good for all is not necessarily true or proven. Good for many, maybe.

I spent some time learning to meditate with people who had meditated for years themselves and had a lot of experience teaching others. I've also tried different schools of meditation.

One thing made clear to me early in is that there are risks for those with underlying mental health issues. They could trigger an as yet undiagnosed condition or make the current condition worse.

Even in other conditions meditation can cause problems. I had to stop because my sound sensitivity became much worse and it caused even more balance problems than usual. I discussed this with my teacher and we tried various different things before concluding that it simply wasn't right for me to continue at that point in time.

If something has an effect then, when applied incorrectly or to the wrong person, that effect can be harmful. If companies are encouraging staff to meditate then they also have a responsibility to employee health and safety and to support their employees if it isn't right for them.

alktipping, Andy and Trish like this.