1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Artificial intelligence based discovery of the association between depression and chronic fatigue syndrome, 2019, Chen et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hmmm.
    Paywalled at https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165032718332300?via=ihub

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is just way too confused to pay attention to.

It looks more like part of a project to fluff up Chinese traditional medicine, which is not clear how it relates to questionnaire and urine and plasma analysis.

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I preferred the old days when all we had to contend with was intelligent artificiality.

NelliePledge, Barry and Andy like this.
  4. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Established Member (Voting Rights)

Andy likes this.
  5. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'And with one bound.. he was free!'
    If there's anything useful in this paper it won't be this sentence.

boolybooly, Wonko and Milo like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Chalder fatigue scale has no relevance to CFS, never mind ME. It is impossible to use as it is so confusing; it is all about comparisons without being clear what they are comparing.

So any research done with it says nothing about us. Sick of the money wasted this way.

7. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nothing in this work uses artificial intelligence and it’s really sad that they try to incorporate buzzwords in their title and paper to attract attention.

CNNs are simply a type of deep learning method which by itself is not AI.

8. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there anything saying patients cannot refuse the Chalder questionnaire? There are plenty of other ones, e.g Lenny's. What would happen if patients refused? Better yet, researchers and doctors got informed and they refuse to administer it?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be great if they did! I wasn't able to answer any of the questions because they were all about how you feel compared to last week or as usual, something like that. Not about how you feel compared to someone else your age.

I don't think it is used clinically very much only in "research" about chronic fatigue. It should not be used by any research being paid for by patients's or patient organisations. I think we should demand that and make sure the problems with it are widely known. I believe there are fatigue scales used by other illnesses which are much better so it looks like this scale was devised to make the bps research give the right answer.