1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Spain, "Lleida scientists discover a marker that allows diagnosing chronic fatigue [syndrome]"

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Relying on a Google translate for the English translation. I haven't been able to find the paper this is based on, assuming there is one.
    https://translate.google.com/transl...ica_33770_1092.html?__twitter_impression=true

Original article
    https://amp.segre.com/noticies/llei...t_diagnosticar_fatiga_cronica_33770_1092.html

I saw this on Anil's Facebook blog page
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/AnilaboutME/posts/1942405466021364

Inara, merylg, Hutan and 22 others like this.
  2. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was like YES a post. Someone will explain a bit more about the Catalan part. But it was my own page that came up . I didn't understand the part of the top athletes and the oxygen. Bad translation.

merylg, MSEsperanza, Amw66 and 13 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems so unlikely to me that there will ever be a single diagnostic test for 'CFS'... but then, maybe something like this could be a common feature? Not much info in that article on the work.

merylg, MSEsperanza, Inara and 6 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In case anyone else was wondering what a 'Lleida scientist' was:

5. Aroa

Aroa Established Member (Voting Rights)

It will possibly be a common feature for many conditions where fatigue is a symptom , the question is why ?
    And the answer to that question may be even different for ME subtypes

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Still not found the actual paper but found this article from a year ago (but it still doesn't really tell us much).
    Google translate - https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...crear/farmacs/fibromialgia&edit-text=&act=url

Original link - https://www.naciodigital.cat/lleida...lleida/obre/portes/crear/farmacs/fibromialgia

Hutan, Forbin, MSEsperanza and 10 others like this.
  7. Grigor

How is this any different from a normal 2 day exercise test? Strange article btw. Focusing on mindfulness. Ok...

8. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

if "all blood tests give a negative result" is an accurate translation, then what cohort are they using???!!!

adambeyoncelowe, Inara and Andy like this.
  9. Rossy191276

Rossy191276 Established Member (Voting Rights)

Still this seems like it could be a helpful study as my understanding was that previous studies had not found the differences on the 2nd day but not the first...I may be wrong on that...

But to me the more studies that find lack of energy production in cells the better to keep building the evidence against Psychosocial models and increase the movement towards biomedical research to find out why mitochondrial dysfunction is occurring

Trish, zzz, Grigor and 2 others like this.
  10. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

From your Facebook post it says:
    The CPET and ergospirometry wouldn't measure O2 levels in muscle cells, so it's possible they were testing something additional as well. Or they might be making assumptions and/or inferring muscle involvement based on CPET/spirometry results.

The article specifically says (translated) :
    This suggests they were taking blood samples during or after the CPET, which is not a normal part of a CPET. And they might be referring specifically to blood gas analysis (instead of more general blood tests), which would include oxygen levels. So I suspect that there is a new finding here, though it's possible other groups have done something similar, such as the Lights.

They're an interesting group, doing sport physiology research. But instead of the usual "exercise is great for everyone" stuff, they're looking at dangers of exercise, such as with Cardiological contraindications in sports earlier this year:

Unfortunately they seem to publish primarily in Spanish, which is going to limit the audience of the data they present.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    adambeyoncelowe, Forbin, Mij and 8 others like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Esther12, Grigor and Valentijn like this.
  12. Grigor

Awesome, thank you. It already seemed odd they would come out like that. I also suspected something new. Good. We should wrote them.

Andy and Valentijn like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Am I right in thinking that this is a different publication by them?

Valentijn likes this.
  14. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

I think there's only one co-author in common.

Esther12 and Andy like this.
  15. Sebastian

Sebastian Established Member

Does anybody know if Lluís Rosselló's group have published this research yet?

I can't see anything on Pubmed.

MSEsperanza and MEMarge like this.
  16. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Deepl.com can’t do whole web page translations but is very good for translating stuff. Their translation of this seems to read better for me but my biology knowledge is minimal so I don’t know if it provides any more information than the google translate version.

TiredSam and MSEsperanza like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks a bit mixed.
    Am wondering what "hippo" therapy is? Possibly lost in translation or probably better left to the imagination.

EzzieD, Forbin, andypants and 2 others like this.
  19. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unless there's another "hippotherapy," it's a form of Equine-assisted therapy. ["Hippo" is Greek for horse, as in "hippodrome." Hippopotamus actually means "river horse.")

From the article, it sounds like horse-riding is used as a form of physical therapy. I would assume that for ME patients it would be little more than sitting on a walking horse. That would still be a form of exertion for the rider. It almost sounds like it is being used in lieu of a treadmill.

I could see the use of horses for physical therapy being a fairly common option in Spain.

[If I'm wrong about all this, I'm going to be very embarrassed!:)]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  20. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I need hippotherapy. Someone please give me a horse. :emoji_horse: