1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article Independent IE: Doctors urged to look out for chronic fatigue syndrome in long Covid patients (#Physios4ME)

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Sly Saint, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...syndrome-in-long-covid-patients-40891359.html

2. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is all good messaging, and an excellent platform -- Trinity College is a very prestigious institution in Ireland

3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Traditionally they have been called ‘malingerers’ or people with ‘yuppy flu’ as ME was often misunderstood." a tradition is not created by a couple of headline made by shoddy journalism .but by the widespread disinformation of vested interests in denying peoples illness so they can profit .

MEMarge, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 8 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paraphrased from the article: breathing exercises can have a positive effect on the autonomic nervous system.

Has anyone heard of this, tried this, know what these exercises are?

As to this article, and the presentation to come, it's a very welcome contrast to the article I just viewed in another thread.

5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. We don't regularly repeat the derogatory names people use for other disadvantaged groups, so why ME?

FMMM1, ukxmrv, Ash and 16 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

Good point. This name calling has been an anti-PR campaign for decades. It is somehow acceptable to overtly smear the reputation of millions of disabled people - the ME community. However, and rightly so, these same, and their fellow believers don't campaign against other groups.

MEMarge, ukxmrv, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. Name calling is a deliberate part of smear campaigning strategies. e.g. As soon as you label a group of people "militants", much of the target audience will just accept the label as valid, and thereon assume any arguments the so-called militants make as being spurious. The strategy abounds.

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First developed over tobacco and environmental issues, including greenwashing, its where the term came from.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds like quasi-physiological theorising to me.
    I am not sure what a positive effect on the autonomic nervous system would be.
    I don't want to sound picky all the time but it would be good to sweep the cupboard clean when it comes to such theorising and move on to a genuinely evidence-driven approach.

cfsandmore, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 20 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Don't you dare stop being picky. :thumbup:

MEMarge, ukxmrv, obeat and 14 others like this.
  11. Oni

Oni Established Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh:

MEMarge, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  12. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As part of the whole CBT/GET experiment they gave us breathing/relaxing exercises. The worse I got the harder these got to do for me. It's been about 10 years since I last did any I think, maybe more.

ukxmrv, alktipping, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  13. Remain in Light

Remain in Light Established Member (Voting Rights)

There's a lot of this breathing around. Look at YouTube, TED talks etc. Cures everything , apparently. My favourite proponent is The Hof, another big beast is Dr Weir.
    I know pwME who do it everyday. I guess it gives them something to do and a sense of agency.
    As I am severe deep breathing exercises give me pem. Harmless enough if you can do them, but "healing"? Nfw

14. Remain in Light

Remain in Light Established Member (Voting Rights)

15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

nul points

MEMarge, DokaGirl, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no idea what they are referring to, but I do alternate nostril breathing yoga which helps calm my nervous system. It's quite effective for me when my brain and body are on 'overdrive', or when I have to got out somewhere and feeling nervous.

I do the 'exercise' lying down.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Tara Green, Ash, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the laugh ---- don't try this at home! If I tried this in my local (public) park then I'd get a lift in one of those vehicle with flashing lights ---

"Keep the faith"

alktipping and DokaGirl like this.
  18. DokaGirl

Thank you @Jonathan Edwards for your analysis.

This breathing info hit my "oh oh, why haven't I heard of this and tried it button".

Very sick people see this stuff and want to try it as soon as possible, to get any level of relief.

I've had ME for over 35 years; read copious amounts on the subject, but was rather dismayed to read about a possible treatment I had missed. One that supposedly doesn't entail shelling out large sums of money to quacks.

Thanks very much again for your comments on this theoretical breathing therapy.

cfsandmore, Ash, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect the strategy is as old as humanity itself.

20. DokaGirl

Thank you for this @Solstice
    :)

alktipping and FMMM1 like this.