1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article in Irish Times on Chronic Fatigue and similar with a focus on psychologist, Vincent Deary

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dolphin, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bobbler, Lou B Lou, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The article conflates burn out and all sorts of fatigue. PEM is mentioned, but not explained. There's nothing about pwME being ill and any other symptoms, just about being fatigued and pacing is described as a way of planning your days so you can still achieve your goals. At least that's how it reads to me.

Mithriel, MEMarge, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, Solstice, FMMM1 and 8 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Chronic fatigue can be viewed as a 'mismatch' between our demands and our capacity to meet them"

Just completely clueless. Although that would be an OK definition of burnout, or overtraining, or other things that have nothing to do with ME/CFS.

The article mentions that Deary has spent decades studying "chronic fatigue". That's just sad. Spending so much time learning so little with nothing but arrogant ignorance to show for it.

5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wot with him being an expert & all that I'd expect him to be aware of Brian Hughes [University of Galway] publications re need to ensure objective outcomes --- i.e. to objectively claim improvement e.g. ability to return to work ---. OK there'll be none of that objective stuff!
    See he's on Twitter - @VincentDeary

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think he shows here that he is talking about psychological stress, anxiety, depression, burnout and general pressures of life as causes of fatigue. As far as I recall neither of the articles on this thread mentions ME or even CFS. He's talking about chronic fatigue and doesn't recognise that ME/CFS should not be included in chronic fatigue as he describes it.

Mithriel, FMMM1, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a confusion hodge-podge. Unhelpful.

Trish, Peter Trewhitt and Dolphin like this.