1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article : Ban term 'painkiller' to end obsession with drugs

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Arnie Pye, Feb 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Link : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51378510

Article continues at : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51378510

I don't believe that painkillers are as useless as we are being told they are, although I accept that it is essential to find the right one for the patient for them to work as well as possible. I'm wondering what the ultimate purpose of this bad publicity about pain relief is - to stop supplying them and save money? If doctors don't reduce or treat pain what use are they? They've already decided that patients lie all the time and that MUS are all in the head.

2. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Hutan, Snowdrop and 8 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a change in no particular direction based on very flawed perception. It's an obsession in the exact same sense as breathing oxygen is something people are very obsessed with.

Drug medications are in demand because they are effectively much better than nothing, for some, and I was told that this is the only thing that counts when it comes to treatment. It has nothing to do with the name though, they actually do work better than nothing for many, unless the standard psychosocial crap where better than nothing is a cheap (well, actually very expensive but whatever) illusion.

It's such a curse that most pain medication is euphoric. It basically destroyed medicine's ability to handle pain with maturity and reason.

Sisyphus, Sarah94, alktipping and 2 others like this.