1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article : Are Regulatory Bodies Prioritising Drug Company Interests Over Public Safety?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Arnie Pye, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Title : Are Regulatory Bodies Prioritising Drug Company Interests Over Public Safety?
    Subtitle : The Disturbing Case of the Street Drug Ketamine

https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/1...ng-drug-company-interests-over-public-safety/

Article continues at : https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/1...ng-drug-company-interests-over-public-safety/

I think the answer to the question posed in the title is "Yes, most definitely".

The comments are mostly worth reading, too.

2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This being California (anything that quacks), a local board-certified shrink who sells vitamins on his website, is offering IV ketamine for a host of psych problems (listed: OCD, depression, PTSD, and anything and everything).

He also gives talks to physicians about the benefits of ketamine therapy, for referral purposes, natch.

For six months of treatment, the patient will pay $3000+. I hope the insurance companies here will be wise enough to demand more research. If we do get medicare-for-all, the cost of this treatment may be prohibitive.

Yes, depression kills. But so may the dissociative effects of ketamine.

Very worrisome. If it later is deemed safe for severe patients and beyond the six months of the study, perhaps its use should be confined to a few reputable centers, although that wouldn't reach enough patients.

As with any new drug, after the phase III clinical trial and the drug is approved, you don't find out the true extent of the side effects until thousands of people have used it. The phase IV (or post-marketing phase) is that.

I'll wait for the generic.

alktipping, Sarah94 and Arnie Pye like this.