1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

" Archers fans in tears over sepsis death storyline"

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by Binkie4, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just read article by Nicola Harley with above title in Sunday Times today, 25th Feb 2018.

Gives a short outline of the condition, comment from the Sepsis Trust, and interviews with listeners who had to pull off the road in their cars because they were so distressed while listening.

It's a long time since I listened to the Archers but its fans are loyal and committed and it has a history of tackling difficult issues like domestic abuse and gas lighting. How about an ME storyline? ME would get good exposure so long as we made sure it was accurate.

Any views?

MEMarge, hellytheelephant and Allele like this.
  2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Allele and Binkie4 like this.
  3. Binkie4

MEMarge, Allele and ScottTriGuy like this.
  4. FreeSarah

FreeSarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Binkie4 and Invisible Woman like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm pissed off with the Archers. I got hooked on it 40 years ago when I was newly married in a foreign country (the UK) and stuck in bed for 6 months with glandular fever and its aftermath.

Every now and then they kill off a young character in shocking circumstances, and my cosy little 'everyday story of country folk' escapism for 10 minutes a day turns into weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth and I stop listening for 6 months.
    Sorry, rant over....

Edit - sorry, I've just noticed this is in the advocacy forum, so the above is irrelevant.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  6. Trish

Oh, and I wouldn't trust the BBC to run a realistic ME storyline in a long running radio soap like the Archers. They would be sure to want to ensure 'accuracy' by consulting the SMC or Wessely. No thanks.
    When they do health issues, they want them to run for a few weeks or months, then it's all over and the person gets better or dies.

7. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who died on the Archers @Trish? Friends appeared and I missed the omnibus

MEMarge, Binkie4 and Invisible Woman like this.
  8. Trish

Will Grundy's wife Nic, aged 37, mother of 3. Big drama, don't listen if you don't have a strong stomach for the distress of a dying woman...

9. Binkie4

A 37 year old woman with young children, but I ........you beat me to it @Trish.

10. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No! From the cut she got helping Joe? OMG.
    Thank you @Trish and @Binkie4, not sure I'm up to listening to that today.

MEMarge, Amw66, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  11. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was quite strong....and quite upsetting. I would avoid both Friday and Sunday unless you are feeling emotionally robust. A young woman saying goodbye to her kids.....oh no even writing this....:(

12. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually, last year, the wife of a cousin (in her 60s) died suddenly of sepsis following a short spell of gardening. They live in a small village, and she was a keen gardener.

MEMarge and Trish like this.