1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Appeal to the FTT for information from QMUL rejected

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JohnTheJack, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if you could ask another general question at Grand Rounds: “Sometimes it is preferable to divert from pre-registered outcome measures in clinical trials in order to make the results ‘more consistent with the literature, and with [the authors’] clinical experience.’ Agree or disagree?”

2kidswithME, MEMarge, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  2. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't. But if people are acting together and sending a barrage of requests, then that could lead to a legitimate use of this exemption.

Collaboration is fine, but if there is collaboration then the burden of all counts, not just what one individual is sending.

Thanks, Rob

That is the Commissioner's argument, not the Tribunal's. It is one that I challenged.

MEMarge, Sly Saint, Barry and 5 others like this.
  3. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been pondering this a lot over the past few days (as one does). Much has been made of criticisms and harrassment being part of a "concerted campaign", which as we know is not true in a strict sense, but social media is a tool for just that. The very fact that we are communicating on a forum (or on Twitter or elsewhere) could be viewed in that light. And it does worry me that folks acting alone have the potential to do a lot of damage, particularly if we don't know what others are up to. For example, I was unaware that some were sending barrages of emails to certain people whenever they published a blog about them (or their organisation) - and that could definitely be construed as "harrassment". I'm not sure I would want to be associated with that, but I know I already have been. :(

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a head-scratcher for sure. More people making the same allegations obviously should make the substance more credible.

That demonization PR campaign certainly did what it intended to do. Wessely's inane rants about "the ME lobby" go back to the late 80's and are still as ridiculous as ever. It will be a terrible look once people understand that all along it was very ill people, barely capable of taking care of themselves, making desperate pleas for help and sanity.

Basically The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog, except this isn't fantasy so it's just a harmless rabbit but the unhinged rants about its genocidal lethality are real.

MEMarge, Sean, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They even claimed there was a special police unit to monitor the dangerous ME militants. :rofl:

One person I talked to was even convinced there had been a car bomb. I don't know how he got that idea.

MEMarge and rvallee like this.
  6. rvallee

Extraordinary claims that somehow have no evidence.

Almost... like... a... pattern............... Almost.

MEMarge, Wonko and Sean like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was pondering @Jonathan Edwards' post, and whether a FOI request might be less likely rejected if requested by someone acting in pursuance of NICE seeking evidence for a guideline review, and if done with NICE's blessing. But I'm out of my depth on this, just idle musing really.

JohnTheJack likes this.
  8. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you have a reference on this?

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd assume it's a reference to the recent response to Wilshire et al: "We prefer the definitions of recovery we used to those used by Wilshire et al. as they give absolute rates more consistent both with the literature, and with our clinical experience."

https://bmcpsychology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40359-019-0288-x

Wessely has said similar things as well. They don't seem to understand the problem with what they're saying, as if redefining 'recovery' in order to produce their desired results is A-okay.

hinterland, rvallee, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think we may have to be careful about rejecting this claim. It may be that it is a distortion of the truth, displaying the tendency to put SW1 at the centre of the universe, around which all revolve, rather than an outright fabrication.

A few weeks ago I did come across a reference to a police unit which could well have been the one referred to. Given time I might even remember the details. From what I recall it was concerned with the monitoring of persons displaying obsessive behaviours, who might pose a risk. It was not specifically concerned with ME activism and certainly not specifically with SW.

It seems that there may have been exaggeration for the sake of effect.

Amw66 likes this.
  11. JohnTheJack

I think this is a bit of a problem, but not one unique to ME. I'm afraid it's how things are now.

rvallee, MEMarge and NelliePledge like this.
  12. JohnTheJack

OK, my understanding of the position is that another FOI request would not succeed.

Whether more information would be forthcoming if a NICE committee addressed this question and asked for something similar as part of its deliberations is a matter of speculation.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  13. rvallee

Wessely said something to the effect that if they did not relax the definition of recovery then nobody would have "recovered". Cue laughter from audience. So funny.

Those two combined make a damning case of obvious fraud but whatever, apparently that doesn't matter anymore.

Sean, Inara, Barry and 7 others like this.
  14. JohnTheJack

In fairness to the judge, in my Appeal, I stated the following:

Chezboo, TiredSam, Sean and 11 others like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't really understand how they think of their fiddling of criteria to achieve results that fitted with their preconcpetions, but they clearly don't thikn that they've admitted to fraud. I'd like to have them speak more about it. It reminds of of the Wasink blog:

http://www.timvanderzee.com/the-wansink-dossier-an-overview/

Ahh... I see what you were getting at there. Probably a challenging point to make to someone who hasn't been following the history though.

Patients are told that their belief they are ill is not based on underlying pathology but that often seems to be by doctors who have a confused understanding of something they half remember reading/hearing. The problems with the PACE researchers' work has certainly made things worse though.

I'm not sure that it's right to say that there is a model which underpins PACE, other than a form of 'pragmatism' which assumes it's legitimate to manage patient cognitions on the basis of results from poorly designed trials (though the researchers clearly favoured two of the treatments tested and the models underlying them).

16. JohnTheJack

Yes, and I think I had in mind the manuals.

The decision does say it is putting things 'crudely' and often quotes other sources about how to describe the illness and the dispute, so I suppose that also is in its favour.

I do think that it shows how things are viewed generally.

17. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Are they trying to be funny?

18. JohnTheJack

Yes, the judge rather likes that line. I think he used it with the SMILE data one. It's not meant unkindly.

You know what lawyers are like.

19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Rumpole of the Bailey

Trish, ladycatlover and JohnTheJack like this.