Anomalies in the review process and interpretation of the evidence in the NICE guideline for (CFS & ME), 2023, White et al

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Three Chord Monty, Jul 11, 2023.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This.

2. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FND is just the name neurologists give to ME/CFS (and other unexplained symptoms). So it’s not surprising at all that FND people are involved in this.

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But are the FND people not also proudly saying that FND is rule-in diagnosis, based among other things, on the presence of Hoover's sign? I doubt that many ME/CFS patients have "functional weakness".

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  4. Sean

FND means whatever they want it to mean.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Looks interesting. We don't appear to have a thread on it so I'll start one.

Contesting the psychiatric framing of ME/CFS, 2017, Spandler and Allen

6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The top leading article on The Times leader page yesterday ( Monday 17th July) was a follow up to Sean O'Neill's double page spread on inquest delay from Saturday.

There is no mention of Maeve or any specific case, the focus being on the backlog of inquests, heading Aquainted with Grief.

7. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In practice FND is anything they can’t diagnose as real D.

8. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

janice, Laurie P, Michelle and 19 others like this.
  9. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I quite like this approach, AfME have shared too. Basically 'the world' (ok, I know I'm extrapolating) vs a bunch of snarky, disgruntled doctors who refuse to accept that the science has gone against them and their perceived wisdom.

Obviously, the proof will be in the pudding when it's (hopefully) published. Now we also need NICE to also respond, in detail, as they suggested they would.

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where can we find this response? On their twitter account they only have a graphic saying so and no link to it.

11. Tom Kindlon

As the second tweet says:
    “If accepted, our response will be published within 14 days, at which point we will share it publicly.”

12. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is exactly why I have focused a lot of time recently on trying to smack down some of the bogus claims being made by the FND folks about prevalence, the purported specificity of the "rule-in" signs, etc. They have spent 10 years inflating the prevalence from their key study from Jon Stone, Alan Carson and Prof Sharpe--from 5.5% to 16%--and have spread the lie that the study showed it was the second-most-common diagnosis at outpatient neurology clinics. They know this is not what it found. So far only one journal has agreed to correct this false statement. Many more--several dozen--to go.

janice, ukxmrv, Michelle and 23 others like this.
  13. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They have moved beyond that, Sid. Now they claim that any proven and accepted physical disease can have a "functional overlay"

14. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It would be interesting to look at trials for FND and see if they use the same dodgy methods. This could be seen as a group of doctors seeing challenges to an approach they have but from a different group of patients. They know their work and treatments are similarly dodgy so they defend the dodgy ME treatments.

15. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I was going to say you are understating it but it all depends on what you mean by can't. I worry that its an easy diagnosis to make and they diagnose people who have other things (such as early stage cancer) as some doctors find it easier to blame patients rather than do a proper diagnosis.

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  17. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another one is
    Jason, L.A.; Jordan, K.; Miike, T.; Bell, D.S.; Lapp, C.; Torres-Harding, S.; Rowe, K.; Gurwitt, A.; de Meirleir, K.; van Hoof, E.L.S. A Pediatric Case Definition for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. J. Chronic Fatigue Syndr. 2006, 13, 1–44.

18. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they do use same low quality methods.

Also, I suspect retrospective recall for impact of adverse life events.

I reviewed that re FMS and found the method used impacted on whether a relationship existed. Prospective studies do not find a link between FMS and adverse life events.

I can post a link if any interest. Got to go now

19. Tom Kindlon

Well done to @MEActNetUK trustees, Denise Spreag, Janet Sylvester & Malcolm Bailey, your e-letter, “The ME community support NICE and reject the misguided attack in ‘Anomalies in the review process and interpretation of the evidence in the NICE guideline for chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis’”, has now been posted on the journal website
    https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/early/2023/07/09/jnnp-2022-330463.responses#the-me-community-support-nice-and-reject-the-misguided-attack-in-‘anomalies-in-the-review-process-and-interpretation-of-the-evidence-in-the-nice-guideline-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-and-myalgic-encephalomyelitis’-

ukxmrv, Laurie P, hinterland and 24 others like this.
  20. Sean

Excellent letter. Thank you to the authors. :hug:

One small detail, the text of the letter appears to have been doubled on the journal's site. i.e. AA. So you only have to read halfway before it repeats.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
    ukxmrv, Laurie P, alktipping and 12 others like this.