1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Animal Models for Neuroinflammation and Potential Treatment Methods, 2022, Tamura et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

[This seems to be only very tenuously about ME/CFS]

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating chronic disease of unknown etiology and without effective treatment options. The onset of ME/CFS is often associated with neuroinflammation following bacterial or viral infection. A positron emission tomography imaging study revealed that the degree of neuroinflammation was correlated with the severity of several symptoms in patients with ME/CFS. In animal studies, lipopolysaccharide- and polyinosinic-polycytidylic acid-induced models are thought to mimic the pathological features of ME/CFS and provoke neuroinflammation, characterized by increased levels of proinflammatory cytokines and activation of microglia.

In this review, we described the anti-inflammatory effects of three compounds on neuroinflammatory responses utilizing animal models. The findings of the included studies suggest that anti-inflammatory substances may be used as effective therapies to ameliorate disease symptoms in patients with ME/CFS.

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fneur.2022.890217/full

shak8 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.51.42 am.png

shak8, Trish and Andy like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There are no new studies here, it's a review of previous work, mostly by these authors. We'd have to look at the references to see how strong the results are. The conclusion suggests the authors are looking to trial these treatments in people with ME/CFS.

Andy likes this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Finally, 6-MSITC derived from Wasabi"
    Not sure how keen I would be on trying a patented "wasabi up the bum" treatment, to be honest... ;)

shak8, cfsandmore, Trish and 2 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:eek: