1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Analysis of minister’s response in Westminster Hall PACE debate

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, I've just enabled sharing.

I am hoping that someone might be you, @Jonathan Edwards. In the meantime, could I ask you to post your comments below the article so that as many people read them as possible? Thanks.

Indigophoton, ukxmrv, JohnM and 4 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Comment awaiting moderation.

Indigophoton likes this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps the illness and patients are seen as unworthy. If that sentiment is pervasive in the circle of people involved in all this, disrespectful behaviour and rule violations could be the normal. As normal as having coffee for breakfeast.

MEMarge likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Been trying to get my head round whether it is unethical to fund a trial whose hypothesis is one you favour. I imagine it's how a great many trials might be funded. It clearly becomes unethical if the trial itself is unethically run, and especially if the researchers have any conflicts of interests that might bias them towards wanting to please their funders. Which then makes me think that if funders are clearly partisan, can researchers ever then be completely unbiased? Is there always going to be a tendency to want to please the funder, so you can go back for more funding another time?

Having written all that, it now seems to me the safest thing is for funders to clearly be non-partisan.

But still confused.

MEMarge and Skycloud like this.
  5. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Comment of the day :woot:

Skycloud likes this.
  6. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That Chalder statement and the fact that Wessely was both a stakeholder/supporter(someone help me, what was it?) or whatever to PACE and the one who set up the ME section of Cochrane should put to bed any claims of unbiased review from Cochrane. We should have all our advocates keep that info at hand to beat them around the ears with. In fact we should be using that Chalder statement as a pre-emptive attack in articles where both sides are gonna have a say. It'll make them look even worse than they already do.

Jan, MEMarge, Keela Too and 3 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)