1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Analysis of antibody data using Finite Mixture Models based on Scale Mixtures of Skew-Normal distributions, 2021, Domingues et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Preprint.
    "
    Abstract
    Finite mixture models have been widely used in antibody (or serological) data analysis in order to help classifying individuals into either antibody-positive or antibody-negative. The most popular models are the so-called Gaussian mixture models which assume a Normal distribution for each component of a mixture. In this work, we propose the use of finite mixture models based on a flexible class of scale mixtures of Skew-Normal distributions for serological data analysis. These distributions are sufficiently flexible to describe right and left asymmetry often observed in the distributions associated with hypothetical antibody-negative and antibody-positive individuals, respectively. We illustrate the advantage of these alternative mixture models with a data set of 406 individuals in which antibodies against six different human herpesviruses were measured in the context of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.08.21252807v1

Kitty, FMMM1, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  2. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The text on the News page includes this:
    "In terms of the results concerning the example of application, there is no evidence for a different level of exposure of the patients with ME/CFS to these herpesviruses when compared to healthy controls and patients with multiple sclerosis."

Really just a statistics paperi.e. comparing different statistical methods -- they all give the same result "no evidence for a different level of exposure of the patients with ME/CFS---".

Not the purpose of the paper but the fact that exposure levels are the same doesn't mean there is no role for herpesviruses i.e. since the immune response could be a reason for different outcomes.

Mark Davis, & Ron Davis, were looking at gene which deal with immune response - Sequencing key immune-related genes: HLA and KIR [https://www.omf.ngo/omf-funded-research-t-cells-molecular-immunology/]. - any recent updates?

Kitty and Ron like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I realise it's a stats paper, not an ME research paper, but it used data from ME/CFS patients, so I decided, when writing the news item, to include the specific point about ME/CFS from the paper to save people searching to find out whether there was any difference found.

4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apologise @Trish - it was a good idea to include it. E.g. it reminded me that I'm not sure how the NIH research award to Ron Davis/Mark Davis worked out/is progressing. Also, it's interesting how it might indicate that the issue is more subtle/complicated than getting an infection - Prusty's Research. I was interested in the skewed distribution tests too!

Thanks

cfsandmore, Trish and Kitty like this.