1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

An oral history of health psychology in the UK: Quinn, Chater,Morrison 2020

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thought this might be of interest. It's long.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/bjhp.12418

Hutan likes this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A few excerpts:

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I confess I don't understand the point of health psychology. It seems to be targeted at changing people's behaviour in ways that will improve their health, such as improving compliance with taking medication or lifestyle changes.

I'm not convinced there is evidence that a health psycholgist is best placed to explain to patients with physical illnesses why they should change their behaviour if the health psychologist doesn't have the medical knowledge to back it up. They are reduced to a sort of faith based 'because it's good for you' reasoning which easily tips over into patient blaming and shaming.

Mithriel, sebaaa, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alternative titles

How psychology took over medicine and won.
    How biological medicine was disrupted and usurped by psychology
    How psychologists persuaded governments that all their citizens were mad liars
    How psychologists became a fifth column for insurance companies and governments

I am sure others could come up with a few more.

sebaaa, alktipping, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It merely seems to be bringing the worst of alternative medicine within a framework that can be coercive and authoritative but lacks any accountability. More than anything the primary beneficiaries, if not the only beneficiaries, are medical professionals. Everything seems built to reassure them that they are doing their best and sometimes the patients are to blame for being ill. Some patients have limited benefits, but nothing that alternative medicine can't deliver far cheaper. Most of those problems are socioeconomic anyway, nothing medicine can do besides saying so and doing the health economics work.

Poster child for the danger of good intentions gone wrong. These people mean well and yet commit atrocious harm while feeling good about it because they are the primary beneficiaries of this "rousing reassurance". Except they work within a framework that only listens to their own voices, never the patients', so they never see the outcomes they create. The ideas and models are far too simplistic. Economics does the same but acknowledges and emphasizes that caricatures and stereotypes are merely thought experiments, clinical psychology seems to actually believe in the cartoonish caricatures they invent.

I genuinely don't think anything of value would be lost if everything that came out of this field were burned down and lost forever. The intentions are good but that's only good for pavement on the road to hell. The complete absence of accountability in this field guarantees those disastrous outcomes, hindsight will not be kind.

sebaaa, Oni and Arnie Pye like this.