1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

An Introduction To ME By Dr Hng

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An Introduction To ME By Dr Hng

Dr. Hng’s story

I had probably been sick for two whole years, before I deteriorated to the extent that I wasn’t coping, and seeked help. In that time, I just couldn’t perform. I was slow, and simply did not get through many patients. In clinic, I fell asleep, and it would happen even when a patient was with me. I remember desperately trying to pull my brain out of sleep, to make sense of the information coming my way, to select the right investigations. And trying not to look like I had just nodded off inside my head, not hearing what had been said!

I thought I was unfit. I had been off work on sick leave and maternity leave for 15 months, and was immobile for most of it. While I did try to build up some strength before going back into work, it was difficult with a baby and I didn’t even manage a daily short walk. Perhaps I was held back by exhaustion as well and didn’t know it…

JaneL, Dolphin, hedgehog and 9 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have read Dr Hng's book.

It is a moving story of her experiences, but to be honest I don't think it's a good resource for educating doctors. It is very much one person's individual experience, and not necessarily typical. It is a very short book, but includes a lot about her work and family life, and very little actually about ME as it is experienced by anyone other than herself.

That is absolutely fine as a personal story, but I don't think it's a good educational tool, particularly as the life she describes at the time she got ME was so frantically busy I suspect many people might attribute her symptoms of exhaustion and falling asleep a lot as burnout.

I hope she has learned a lot more since producing the book about the wider picture of ME so any educational work she does for doctors is well founded. She could be a very valuable resource if she gets it right.

Edit June 2019. It sounds like the newer edition is much better.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what this product is. Is it a presentation or a document. The content is some extracts from the book. If a presentation there is far too much information on each page. Even as a summary not convinced it is that effective. It needs to have key points, use headings and bullets rather than dense blocks of text and long lists of references. To get a message home it needs to be up front and for people to actually read on it needs to be in as few pages as possible ideally two Or four maximum.

I’ve read Dr Hngs book too. It isn’t a bad read as a personal story with some info on ME at the end. Her idea is to get people to give their copy of her book to GPs to read so that they will begin to understand and take some interest in ME. It didn’t have any effect on my GP.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    ladycatlover, Barry, hedgehog and 9 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My GP barely has time to listen to my health issues (even though I only go in with one thing at a time when I absolutely have to), never mind time to read about someone else's.

5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, hopefully that typo in the very first sentence can be fixed up. I agree with the criticisms above.

But it must have taken a lot of bravery for Dr Hng to stick her head above the parapet and announce to her colleagues and the world that she has ME when she wrote her book, and still more bravery to take more steps to educate the medical professions.

I doubt that this brochure is going to change the minds of many doctors. I guess though, I appreciate the effort made and don't think it will do harm. There have been a lot worse efforts to inform people about ME. I hope that Dr Hng, if she is not already a member, joins us here on the forum as I think she could contribute a lot.

Amw66, ukxmrv, ladycatlover and 16 others like this.
  7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Hng (aka Robin Brown) has arranged for Dr Weir to run a training event this autumn in Manchester for doctors and med students.

Cannot find a link on her FB site, but will add it when it next pops up.

8. MEMarge

I suspect that her book is written with a viewpoint of "It could happen to you!".

I think it can be useful for quotes, such as the paragraph that Carol Monaghan used at the start of her debate (first one I believe).

Ben McNevis, ukxmrv, Barry and 8 others like this.
  9. Trish

That's good. I hope she links up with the MEA too and talks to Drs. Shepherd and Speight. It would be really good to have more doctors working with the MEA.

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve just finished the full book. I don’t necessarily disagree with most of what has been said already but still think this book could be useful in getting through to some doctors especially as she is one of their own. Best done alongside drier, more fact-based material.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did it happen?

andypants likes this.
  12. MEMarge

13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

MEMarge likes this.
  14. MEMarge

There's an article on the Hope4ME &Fibro NI FB group Announcements page for 25 Jan 2019

I think this is public access. I just remember hearing it had gone well, not much info.

Ben McNevis and Trish like this.
  15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Book review by Joe Moss June 5 2019

full blog here:
    https://www.ajourneythroughthefog.c...ey-with-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-book-review/

16. Trish

The review suggests the book is well worth reading and giving to doctors. It sounds like this edition is much improved on the first edition which I was not very impressed with. I'm glad she's been able to update it. I'll give it a try.

17. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know what aka means, but why is it used in this context? Does she generally use the names interchangeably, and why an aka at all?

18. Trish

Dr Hng runs a facebook group about ME on which she calls herself Robin Brown. I have no idea why, that's her business, but I was very confused by it when I briefly joined the group.

MEMarge, MeSci, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  19. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, Trish!

(Edited to remove emojis that, in the light of day, seemed a little disrespectful.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    MEMarge likes this.
  20. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One might be a married name?

Sarah94, MEMarge, Louie41 and 3 others like this.