1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

An international survey of experiences and attitudes towards pacing using a heart rate monitor for people with ME/CFS 2023 Clague-Baker et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

BACKGROUND:
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) is a complex, multi-system neurological condition. The defining feature of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM) with over 30 symptoms triggered by physical, cognitive, emotional and social activity. The cause of PEM is unclear but one area of research using cardio-pulmonary exercise tests show a reduced ventilatory anaerobic threshold (VAT) with repeated tests leading to PEM. Pacing with heart rate monitoring (HRM) provides feedback to maintain activity intensity below the VAT. There is only one piece of research investigating the use of HRM although a number of guidelines recommend it.

OBJECTIVE:
    To identify the experiences and attitudes of people with ME towards HRM.

METHODS:
    A 40 question online survey was devised and released on ME websites, Twitter and Facebook pages. People with ME read the information sheet and followed an online link to the survey. The survey was open for three weeks and all answers were anonymous.

RESULTS:
    488 people with ME completed the survey. Most participants were female, 35-50 years and with a reported illness of greater than 5 years. Over 100 types of HR monitor used. Over 30 benefits and over 30 negatives identified. HRM reduced severity of ME and severity and duration of PEM.

CONCLUSION:
    Although there are limitations, HRM has many benefits including helping PwME to understand and manage their PEM and support them to increase their activities, including work. There is a need for more research and education of healthcare professionals in the safe use of HRM.

Open access, https://content.iospress.com/articles/work/wor220512