1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

An Adrenalectomy Mouse Model Reflecting Clinical Features for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2020, Lee et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Another dubious mouse model, this time from Korea.
    Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2218-273X/10/1/71

Barry, spinoza577 and JohnM like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cut, cut, cut. NO WAY.

Why would you want to activate astrocytes and transforming growth factor beta (TGF-β) ?????

Ain't astrocytes not already activated in ME patients?

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

They are not suggesting removal of adrenal glands as treatment for ME, they are suggesting that removing them in mice leads to similar symptoms as in humans with ME - creating a possible mouse model of ME that can then be used in research about ME.

4. lansbergen

Yes, but what will that tell????

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are saying that removal of adrenal glands appears to create an illness that is closer to ME/CFS than the illness created by injecting mice with compounds that the immune system interprets as bacterial and viral infection.

Of course adrenal insufficiency is not ME/CFS and mice are not humans but I thought this was interesting.

Michelle, Amw66, Barry and 5 others like this.
  6. Trish

My impresssion from a quick read is that they have rejected previous mouse models of ME created by injecting various things that set up an inflammatory reaction, or that stress the mice. They say these mimic depression, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, but not CFS.

Their model is be based on research that showed low cortisol in ME, so they induced that in the mice by adrenalectomy. They say this led to various test results that matched those in ME better than the previous models had, and that this mouse model could therefore potentially be used for things like drug testing for possible ME treatments.

From the discussion section:
    These are the references they base this on:

Michelle, Milo, Barry and 4 others like this.
  7. lansbergen

Yes, but I do not see what it can tell.

Why create an Addison-patiënt? Addison is very difficult to control.

8. Trish

I agree. I was just trying to describe what the researchers were saying. And they were not trying to create Addisons in humans. They were trying to create a mouse model that mimics some features of CFS in humans.

Michelle, Milo, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  9. lansbergen

Adrena glands have a7nach receptors.

10. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This has reminded me of this radio show that was posted here a couple of weeks ago about Doug Lindsay who came down with a sort of M.E like illness, after his mum and aunt had suffered for decades, and pretty much self diagnosed and got someone to do surgery on his adrenal glands. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07xpjb9

Amw66 likes this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An idea that came to me in the days when I gave up animal model work was:

If there are 100 models of illness X, each based on a different causal mechanism, then 99 of them must be the wrong mechanism. That makes it statistically highly likely that 100 of them are the wrong mechanism.

JemPD, TrixieStix, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  12. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think its a bit premature to do these kind of animal studies. We don't know if hypocortisolism really has something to do with the pathology of ME/CFS or if its just a consequence of it and findings for TGF beta are rather conflicting. So I don't think these could be seen as indicators wether an animal model resembles ME/CFS or not.

It thought it was interesting that they thought the immune model (injecting mice with compounds that the immune system interprets as bacterial and viral infection) looked more like depression than CFS, cause this theory is quite popular among CFS researchers. Then again I'm not sure if the tests they made the mouse do would be able to show a clear difference between depression or CFS. If mise can have CFS, i think they would look pretty depressed.

Hutan, JemPD, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't that going to be true of any models for illness X, animal models or otherwise? Presumably research is primarily about trying to find the right illness model, even if it turns out to be the 999th, whatever? (I suspect I may be missing your point here).

Snow Leopard likes this.
  14. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Feeds into the cortisol resistance narrative ? @alex3619

Hoopoe likes this.
  15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't seen any followup published on the beta cortisol receptor problem. I think the researcher retired though. So many lines of research need to be solidly established or disproved. Its not happening fast enough.

Michelle, Milo, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  16. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Several years ago I felt so horrible and I begged my dr to ‘do something’. She is a bunch of blood tests, one of which was the AM and PM cortisol. It came back flagged at a critical low. Something like 45 when the normal range would be 180-800. I was sent to the endocrinologist, which was delayed because of the holiday season, but in the meantime was started on Cortef, which did not seem to do anything for me. Usually people feel a little jolt (a burst of energy) when given cortico-steroids. Not me. A month later, i had my consultation. My AM Cortisol still flagged as critical low, though a bit higher this time in the 80’s, i still did not feel better. I had the Corticotropin stimulation test (not sure if it’s the right name for it) which showed i did not have Addison. I was (very painfully) weaned off the Cortef and that was that.

i would welcome animal study of the Korean kind, because I believe the HPA axis hormones are involved, but with the caution that it may represent a subset of the patients and that it may explain one event in time, without explaining all of the symptomatology.

Amw66 likes this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there was only one, or maybe three models based on different causal mechanisms then the chance that one of them was the right mechanism could be fair. The only model for tuberculosis was injecting animals with Mycobacterium tuberculosis - and that turned out to be the right model.

But if there are 100 models each based on a different explanation then it looks very much as if people are struggling.

As an example, animal models of rheumatoid arthritis included immunising mice with cartilage collagen, immunising rabbits to milk by diet, injecting mycobacterial cell wall into rats, introducing trangenes encoding for absence of lymphocyte death in mice, intruding transcends for unregulated secretion of TNF, injecting mice with pristine oil, injecting ovalbumin into rat knees, and so on... None had any relevance at all to the aetiology of the illness (except that TNF turns out to be involved for other reasons).

18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect that feeling horrible when waking up might could have something to do with cortisol awakening response not working well. By the time blood is typically drawn, the cortisol levels would however already be fairly normal.

I did a diurnal salivary cortisol curve once and the first sample in the morning was well below the norm.

adambeyoncelowe, Trish and Michelle like this.
  19. lansbergen

They remove the whole glands. Look at all the things you have to compensate for.

Trish likes this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not exactly high on the "all other things being equal" scale.